Jig for milling thin boards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlebuster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Timber King 1220 saw mill.I encountered a problem trying to saw some 1x2 boards out of some scrap from a log I milled recently.My blade comes down only so far(approximately 1 1/2" from the bed).Does anyone have an idea or pic of a jig that might work t0 mount on the bed to maybe slide the lumber through and across the blade with the head stationary?My log stops and dogs seem to get in the way when I try cutting close to the bed.Thanks for any suggestions!

Try using a 2" board on the bed, use 2 and a half inch screws underneath into your scrap to hold them both together. Set your blade to three inches and cut. Your dogs should have no trouble with the 2" piece. I did this once and it worked but its a bit of work to repeat over and over again but well worth it if you get some value lumber out of it. I also made sure that I placed the screws in the sap wood so as not to put any holes in the heart.

Thanks for the idea! I think I will try that next time. That sounds simple enough and it should get the job done without modifying the bed on my mill and having to swap it back and forth every time .

I had a job resawing 25 2x12x20' for a client into 1x12s for flooring and used this. I screwed a piece of angle iron to the side of the roller bed for a fence with gap for the blade and added a spring tensioned hold down wheel. It was still a bit of work to push it through and you must have a second person to pull it the last four feet or so--do not get too close to the blade while pushing.

View attachment 230087
View attachment 230088
View attachment 230089

I think I know where to get some rollers like that. If I can I will try that way also. It would be quicker than the screws if you have several boards to cut. Thanks for the reply and the pics! Nice setup!

Nice jig, but i don't have to put anything down or use any resaw jigs on my mill. The "cam dogs" on my mill will easily grab and hold 2x lumber flat,

orig.jpg

I can saw it about as fast as anyone can put a 2x on and take the 1x off...

SR

I would build a wood table with the wheel and spring hold down with a 2x fence on one side and use it like a table saw.

Latest posts

Back