jobs to big......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys,
this last week i've gone out to give estimates for jobs and found out that they were way to big for me to do (even with a helper).
i just started my biz about a month ago and i have found out that alot of people in town are sick of dealing w/ the "big guys" and are looking for some more personal service. what should i do about the big jobs??? should i sub them out or what???? any advice would be appreciated!!!!! please help, it's alot of money to leave on the table!!!
:cool: budroe

Be honest witht he client that it is out of your specialty. Tell them you would have to schedule additional help and equipment.

Find someone with a big dump, rent a bigger chipper and bring Brian down from Orlando for a day or two.

i say, never swim alone, never climb alone.

Someone should be on the ground that knows the secret phone number for nine-eleven............

having an apprentice loader pick up, and a lawn tractor drag can take you far.............

What kinds of jobs are they that they are just "too big?" If it will keep you and another person busy for a few days, or a week or two, why not do it? If you are talking about massive removals, then that is something else.

Only do what you are comfortable doing.
I have a good friend who has done treework for almost 15 years. He works for the county forestry div. and does work on the side after work and weekends. He and I took our certification tests together about 7 years ago. John doesn't care for big trees, and doesn't mess with them. He really shines on small and medium size trims. Makes a great living doing it, all his work is referrals.

I'm different, though. I would just as soon work in BIG trees. Cleaning out a 70' live oak with 80' spread is my idea of a GREAT time! Big removals give me a hard-on also! Nuthin quite like making a perfect cut and swinging a 1500 lb limb around so it lands perfectly from 40'. Figuring out roping angles comes easily for me also. I almost get claustrophobic in trees under 25', just as soon let someone else get those.

Do what you love, there is plenty of work for everyone. Enjoy your work, and if you want to do larger trees you will have thousands of opportunities to do so. Even hooking up with another treeman for help and experience on bigger trees is a good idea. Pay him well, or share the job and WATCH AND LEARN.

Budroe, Like nike Says Just DO IT! But yyou might need a larger saw than that Echo 3000. :D If you dont have experience on a big removal Bid high Or you might be posting in the Biggest removal for least $. And i'd suggest getting Brian in to help you Besides im sure what you will learn from him would be well worth the $ . And you might as well be making $ while learning instead of paying for it. :cool:

i just landed a job w/ 105 palm trees on a 3 acre property.
the clients are snow birds and have flown north for the summer.
i bid the job out for $20/tree and have until memorial day weekend to finished. i can do 90% of the trees from the ground w/ my echo ppt260 w/ 5' extension (i can get up to 25' while standing on the ground). i'm trying to hook up w/ a hauling company to haul the frons. will need a lift to hit the rest. i'm thinking about putting this 2grand down on a bucket truck. things are happening so fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wish me luck!!!
budroe:cool:

How 'bout a ladder to reach the other palms? Be sure to use your lanyard while working on the ladder.
You can get a roll-off dumpster for about $200 I think. Includes pickup and delivery, might be cheaper than subbing the hauling.

As for using the $2K for a down payment on a bucket truck, my old man always taught me to concentrate on the basics and keep things in perspective. For 99.7% of the successful tree companies, a chipper and chipper truck usually are higher priority than a $50K bucket truck. I'm sure you are just excited about landing your first job over $ three digits. Sanity will return shortly.
:blob2:

With the cost of a bucket and the upkeep you need to ba able to use it several times a week for it to pay for it's self.

Wait till you know you can reraly utilize the asset before you purchace it.

Hey Ummmm Budroe, Dont forget along with your 600.00 + a month Bucket payment that Taxes & Insurance add easily 200.00 + per month. Maybe you ought to think of trading in the jeep for a 1 ton Dump & Chipper.
Just a thought

:blob2:

ok, maybe i'm jumping the gun w/ a bucket truck. (a man's gotta dream!!!!) what do y'all think about investing in a tow-behind polecat??? has anyone every used one before????any pro's and cons???? let me know.
all fired up,
budroe:cool:

The PoleCats are fairly handy for people who cannot climb well. Good for commercial properties with lots of small/medium size trees. Most decent climbers could not justify the cost for one, though. Anything it can reach isn't that hard of a climb.

I could see the new one that articulates. You can work the tips better from a bucket then the ground, well up to 45 feet that is.

Once again you need to b able to use it regulary for it to pay for itself. Soemthing like $45k. Yould be paying around 300 a week for principle alone with a 36 month loan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back