John Deere (Efco) bar on Stihl MS660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I picked up a John Deere CS71 with a 32" and 24" bar. The 32" is plenty big for it so will leave the 24" on it. I bought a PHO only MS660 off the trading post here a 2 weeks ago that need some small stuff. I should have it together Monday and ready to mount a bar on.

So, anybody know if an Efco bar will fit on the Stihl? I do have a 28" on my MS440, and really love it. The MS440 did come with used 20" also that has never been on it. So I was going to throw the 20" on the 440 and 28" on the 660. But, I would rather keep the 28" on the 440, and throw the 32" on the 660....I guess I can see how it looks. The sprocket on the 660 is a 3/8-8 so it should work with the chain on the Deere.

The oiler hole is really close to the same spot on the Deere bar to the Stihl bar. I guess there is one way to find out..... Thanks in advance!!!!

Gotcha. Has anyone opened slot up with a drill press and 12mm drill bit, and start on one end and push to the other? Or need to be machined?

I guess if I can save $100 for bar and chain, it is worth it. Thanks for replies.

I've extended the slot on my Stihl pattern bars so I could use them with my husky saws. It's a pain in the ass without the right equipment. You'll need a bit designed for hardened steel.

I have used carbide grinding burrs and end mills in a drill press with a cross slide vise. Also done quite a few with just a file. The rails are typically much harder to file the the center of the bar. Generally much easier for me to find inexpensive 9mm mounts than 12mm mounts so I reshape them to fit. Last couple was all file work.

I think I am going find a 12mm bit today and give it a try. Will try drilling both ends and use angle grinder with sandpaper to cut down and follow up with file. Can also buy the adapter to go back to the husky mount, which I doubt will do. Might sell the Deere anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys. There is not much on the net about this, everything is the other way around.

I also might enlarge the oil hole a little bit, found a thread on here from a few years ago that said it helped with longer bars.

If you would be interested in trading the bar before you cut it, let me know I have an extra 28" stihl bar. It has some time on it and is not new. I can send you a picture if you are interested.

If you would be interested in trading the bar before you cut it, let me know I have an extra 28" stihl bar. It has some time on it and is not new. I can send you a picture if you are interested.

Not sure if shipping is going to be worth it. Going to drill it tonight. Thanks for the offer tho.

Well, got it done. I ended up drilling front and back slots with my el-cheapo harbor freight expansion bits. Then used 4 1/2" angle grinder with 120 grit pad. Then filed them even. I was stumped tho when the clutch cover would not fit on tight. Turns out the bar studs, were 12mm diameter, but stuck out past the bar when I put it on. I compared them to my 440 and were definitely different. I should have gotten pics but forgot. So, I ended up drilling the clutch cover, so bar studs would fit in cover. I didn't take too much, maybe 1/4". I probably should have waited and ordered the right bar studs, but the clutch cover has a crack and the back piece is broke off anyway. And, I wanted it together.

I did have to trim the back of the bar maybe 3/8" so it would not hit the sprocket. I could have waited and had a link or 2 put in the chain, but all is well. I also enlarged oiler holes in the bar to 1/8" and angled them to the front. Chain had a bit of chatter but I took a little too much off the depth guages. Will get some pics of the Stihl Deere up. Photobucket is SLOW.....

20160118_221444_zpsl5rfojsl.jpg
20160118_220850_zps4jdzaem5.jpg

Latest posts

Back