John deerestx38 gears

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WishIknew

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a second hand John deere STX38 yellow deck. The mower was still going very well with just the brakes not working well. Then I had to replace the breather hose because it broke. This left the mower sitting for about 4 weeks as we waited for it. We finally got the hose, replaced it. Now the mower starts, the engine goes but I can't get it into gear at all. I have no experience with mowers. Any help at all is very much appreciated.

Is it grinding when trying to put it in gear?Is the gearshift moving at all? Is the park brake on, this would cause it to not move. Look at the drive belt and see if it has jumped off. Let us know what you find and include some pics of the mower to help troubleshoot.Be Safe!

Hi, the park brake is off. I can easily push the mower around. The gear stick also moves easily in any direction. When the mower is turned on there is a sort of hissing sound (not loud) which goes away if I push the clutch all the way down.

I will try to get some pictures.

Sounds like the belt is on. With the mower off see how tight the drive belt is.The belt May just be worn out and not pulling.Also check the gearshift linkage to the transmission.

Look under the fender at the rear and see if it still attached to transmission while moving the gearshift linkage.

Latest posts

Back