Jonnie red 670 champ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have one I bought new in 91 or 92. Its been a good saw and plenty of power. Still runs like new. You may not want to sell yours after you rebuild it.

Last edited:
trust me, when you get that big thing rebuilt, you'll want it for yourself. I LOVE mine. fastest thing I have, and my favorite saw to use. I'll pass ALL my others for this one cause its so fast, and nice to run.

Lawn Masters said:
trust me, when you get that big thing rebuilt, you'll want it for yourself. I LOVE mine. fastest thing I have, and my favorite saw to use. I'll pass ALL my others for this one cause its so fast, and nice to run.
Big? It is a very nice medium-sized saw.

klickitatsacket said:
Can you say Husqvarna 266. Basically the exact same saw.

I understand you probly meant 268 but I still havent seen a pic of the 268 jug. Does it have the port on the jug for the pulse tube that goes to the carb like the 670? If it dosent would it be fair to say they are not exzact? Sure the bore and stroke are the same but does that mean the port timeing is also? If Im not mistaken the 670 sports higher HP figures. Those numbers could be wrong then again port timeing could explain the differance. No one has proved to me or shown me on paper where port timeing is the same. This wouldent be the first time where small differances in the HP rateing went back to a small differance in the port timeing. It would be nice if someone could prove if they are the same or there is a differance in port timeing as well as the port on the jug for the pulse tube. Any one have a pic of the 268 jug?

I use to work in a rental shop that sold husqvarna. We had a mexican thinning crew that used 266 and 670 champs. When they ended up upgrading and trading the lot in; there was not one saw that was not a hermorphidite. Half jonsered 670 champ half husqvarna 266. I do not know what the port timing is in each or what the slight differances are. Perty much the same saw, maybe the word "exactly" was a poor choice of words, but for all intense purposes when it comes to using them it all (about) the same.

I don't think the 670 Super/Champ and 268xp had excactly the same porting etc, as there were a difference in rated power (3.7 vs. 3.5 kW).
The 266xp were rated at "only" 3.2 kW.

There also were "plain" versions of 266, 268 and 670, with less power than their direct counterpart listed above.

MY impression is that the plain 670 was related to the 266xp in about the same way as the Super/champ was related to the 268xp, while the plain 266 and 268 were open-port designs.
I could very well be wrong, though! :dizzy:

The only "survivor" today is the plain 268, which still is a current model in large parts of the world.

This issue has been discussed several times, but it seems like nobody knows the exact story behind these closely related saw models.
Do a search, if interested! :angel:

Last edited:
The biggest differance that you can see on the outside of the saws were that the placement of the impulse nipple and how the carburetor attatched to the cylinder. There may have been internals and other things as well . I did not pay that much attention. (I always preffered Stihl) The whole HP thing, could be true and then again who really knows. HP ratings are always lied about by the manufacturers and they change from one publication to the next in thier own stuff. I am not argueing with you here just trying to over simplify this class of Electrolux saws. They are all good saws for a smaller mid sized saw.

rpms

I have tried to dig up as much as I can on the rpm's of some of the saw models in question. What I found was quite a diversity, so I don't think any of the models have the same porting etc.

266xp, max rpm 12500 - max power 3.2 kW at 9300
670, - max power 3.3 kW at 9600

268xp, max rpm 13300 - max power 3.5 kW at 9600 (?) (maybe 9300)
670 S/Ch, max rpm 13500 - max power 3.7 kW at 10000 rpm.

Some numbers are missing, but to me it seems the Jreds had more aggressive porting than the corresponding Husky xp's, which adds up pretty good with the fact that that produced slightly more max power output. Other factors may of course also play a role in this.

This may be a pretty long shot though, so I was uncertain if I should post it at all..........

Last edited:
"Piston ported" has nothing to do with open or closed ports as far as I know, Pinus.

Most saws have been piston ported, as opposed to reed valve designs, for decades......

SawTroll said:
"Piston ported" has nothing to do with open or closed ports as far as I know, Pinus.

Most saws have been piston ported, as opposed to reed valve designs, for decades......

Probably, you are right here. Boat motors-reed valves yeh. :alien:

Sawtroll I have never been able to find rpm numbers on the 670 champ. My owners manual does not state them but I would guess your numbers are right. I have always noticed the rpm's come fast and seem excessive on mine compared to other saws of that size and age.

Latest posts

Back