Jonsered 111s parts needed and other issues...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokehouse78

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here to this forum and looks like a great place for information from all the experienced saw enthusiasts.
My current dilemma... I have this Jonsered 111s that I acquired for free about 12 years ago and it has been sitting in pieces after I tore into and couldn't find parts for it at the time. Well after some winter cleaning I ran across as it was totally forgotten about as it was buried under a bunch of stuff. Well I got a wild hair to get it running since we had a week of rain here in sunny Ca. I mainly needed all the gaskets, recoil spring and a gas cap. The gaskets I made, recoil spring I found online for like $8 and my local small engine guy found an older stihl oil cap that fit for the gas cap. I did have an issue with the rings being rusted in the piston from sitting so long but after a day of soaking in PB Blaster, I got them free and sanded the rust off with some 800 grit and crocus cloth. Piston and bore look great so I put it all back together but no spark. Finally got the flywheel off after I modified an old steering wheel puller to line up with the holes and POP, it was off. Sanded the points and got great spark, put it all back together, shot some brakeclean down the throat and it lit off first pull... After a few minutes of running I heard a funny tinging sound and immediately shut it down. Looked at the clutch and it was ok, wiggled the flywheel and it was loose, yanked the cover back off and took the loose nut off (which I cranked down uber tight 20 minutes before) and found a small piece of the crank had broken next to the woodruff key. Now at this point I am a little pissed for rushing it and not putting some loctite on the nut and waiting a day to run it but I just had to hear it run. Now my question is can I just use some green loctite sleeve retainer on the broken piece as it broke clean and fits back tight next to the key? I figure the flywheel will hold the piece back in tight and if I use some red loctite on the crank nut and let it fully cure, I should be golden...Right?

Also I think I need new rings as I only have about 85psi compression where my 066 mag has about 150psi. I looked in ebay and found some husky 395 rings with the same dimensions as mine so they should work, correct? Will any of the husky pistons work in this thing just in case down the road.

Last thing I need to find is an air filter as mine has a few holes melted in it from possibly a backfire once upon a time... I was thinking of just cutting out the old material and hot gluing new filter media in its place, where can I find bulk material like that? maybe some fine stainless mesh screen and a cloth like material on top?

Well if you made it this far thanks for reading and all you saw gurus infinite wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back