Jonsered 2051 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a 2051 with a worn piston down to 120psi. The OEM one will make the repair uneconomical. I was wondering if an aftermarket 353 piston will fit - it shares the same diameter 45mm, the same dia wrist pin 10mm but the other critical dimensions are wrist pin to crown and the height of the piston!

Has anyone got an old Husqvarna 353 piston kicking around and can measure the height of the piston and the measurement between the top of the wrist pin hole and the crown?

Cheers for any help

Bump.

I don't know of a lot of "candidate" pistons, but the other pistons I know of with a 45mm bore, and meant for a 32mm stroke is the 590 one and the closed port 55 one - but I suspect those aren't much easier to find...

The 353 has a 32.5mm stroke, but I don't know what that means regarding the fit, as I am no expert on this.....

This post really is just a "bump"!

I have a new meteor 353 piston in front of me and measure 14mm from the top of the (10mm) pin to the top of the piston and 23mm from the top of the pin to the bottom of the skirt (37mm overall piston height). 15.4mm between the pin bosses, 10.5mm from top of pin to top of the ring groove. Ring locator pin centered on intake port.

Bill

I have a new meteor 353 piston in front of me and measure 14mm from the top of the (10mm) pin to the top of the piston and 23mm from the top of the pin to the bottom of the skirt (37mm overall piston height). 15.4mm between the pin bosses, 10.5mm from top of pin to top of the ring groove. Ring locator pin centered on intake port.

Bill

Cheers Bill - I will look at the piston I have and see if it is similar but after I posted this I noticed the piston of the 353 has closed windows (Solid sides) unlike the windowed original so think i may be stripped down for spares - just hate doing that:angry:

Any additional insights or thoughts on an alternative piston for the 2051? I've got a scored one here that needs replaced as well.

Is a closed window piston a deal breaker in this instance?

Thanks.

Any additional insights or thoughts on an alternative piston for the 2051? I've got a scored one here that needs replaced as well.

Is a closed window piston a deal breaker in this instance?

Thanks.

I tried the saw again today and it roared in to life, not sure if it will last but intend seeing if it will work and start when hot - that will tell if it is OK or not.

The closed sides of the piston will severly cut down on the flow through the transfers as the sides will block the flow. There is an option to put holes in the side of the closed piston with a drill and dremmel, it will weaken the piston but may work!

Fitting the closed piston will probably make the saw work but reckon it will lack torque in the mid range. IMO, if it was my saw and wanted it to run, I would buy the closed piston and open up hte sides whilst trying to retain a bit of strength in the sides.....or buy the OEM one....ouch!

If my saw doesn't work when hot, it will be stripped for spares to sell - not worth spending hours on it.

Dimensions on a used Jonsered 2051 piston are as follows:

Diameter: 44.9mm
Top of piston to top of pin: 14mm
Total piston height: 37mm
Pin: 10mm OD and 31.75mm width
Crank width: 14.7mm
Ring locator is centered over the intake. It is a single ring.

I say the 353 piston looks like a really excellent option here. Also, this is a closed transfer cylinder, so does that change the thought on the closed window piston? Should the windows be opened up here?

0A94EBE3-86F0-4898-8AA6-A75B97492FF6-13655-000018D12CE6F66C.jpg

Hi all,

I've been reading your posts here quite some time and finally decided to post myself too. I know this is an old thread but maybe it'll help somebody.

I have Jonsered 2051 from 2000 and piston is badly worn. I started to make new piston out of Husqvarna 353 piston. I just filed the lower parts of the sides flat. I was thinking that if I can get it running at all like this I would then start figuring out the side holes to the piston. Rumors are that it is possible with 353 piston.

I've known for long that I could get piston P/N 5031807-01 from PartsTree with nice price tag of $115 which I wasn't going to pay. That's why all the work with Husqvarna 353 piston.

But yesterday I tumbled upon new place for Jonsered parts in Estonia and piston kit was €39 + €6 postage to Finland. And I ordered the piston:

http://www.hortulus.ee/index.php?page=157&action=show_product_details&product_id=1123

I'll let you know when the piston arrives what it is like and what happens with it.

BR,
Timpe

Hi all,

And sorry, it took me a while to replace the piston. 2051 is up and running, I did just some test runs but will have to wait for a while to get it in serious work. But so far all seems to work just great. See photos of old and new pistons.

BR,
Timpe

WP_20160804_17_56_00_Pro.jpg
View attachment 524782

Attachments

• WP_20160804_17_55_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160804_17_55_10_Pro.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Bump.

I don't know of a lot of "candidate" pistons, but the other pistons I know of with a 45mm bore, and meant for a 32mm stroke is the 590 one and the closed port 55 one - but I suspect those aren't much easier to find...

The 353 has a 32.5mm stroke, but I don't know what that means regarding the fit, as I am no expert on this.....

This post really is just a "bump"!
eBay seller little red barn sells a closed port 45 mm piston with windows for the husky 55 for around 40$, just put a friends 55 together with one. Haven't put it in wood yet but it looks very useable! Might work for the j. Red? Edit, it's a single ring piston!

Welcome to the forum! :)

That link doesn't offer much information, but from your pictures it looks like an aftermarket. Is there any info on where it was made?

It looks heavier than the original, but at least the saw runs again.

eBay seller little red barn sells a closed port 45 mm piston with windows for the husky 55 for around 40$, just put a friends 55 together with one. Haven't put it in wood yet but it looks very useable! Might work for the j. Red? Edit, it's a single ring piston!

Does little red barn still refuse to sell out of North America?

No. They have a long list that includes Finland but not Norway.[emoji848]

Prolly just missed it.

Shoot them a eBay message.

My brother once asked them (about Norway), and they said NO. That was a few years ago though, so I would ask again if they had anything I wanted.

Hi all,

Below photo of the packaging. Couldn't find any marking about where it is made but maybe you already know the hako brand. I didn't.

The old piston was so worn and thin on the lower edges that anything is heavier than that.

WP_20160912_20_15_16_Pro.jpg

BR,
Timpe

Latest posts

Back