jonsered 2165 ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in complete agreement with this post! And it has more validity than most because it comes from someone with trigger time on both saws. NYH1's conclusion mirrors my own experience and that of several of my customers. Specs may give you numbers, but trigger time gives you a truer feeling of what a saw can do. They are very close, as most anyone who has actually run them both will attest to. Yes, the 2171/372 do have some more power. But it is very subtle, and mostly insignificant for the average guy cutting firewood.

It's kind of amusing to me how some guys dis the 2165/365 when comparing it to the 2171/372. Nearly everyone raves about the 372/2171 as one of the all time best saws ever. But the same saw with 6cc's less isn't good enough? What kind of thought process is that?

Another thing that cracks me up is that saving $100 by going with the 2165/365 is seemingly unimportant to the same guys who go to great lengths looking for deals on E-bay and buying Chinese cylinders from Baileys to save a similar sum.

All of you guys running the '65's should ignor the "You should have got the bigger one" comments and enjoy your saws. (And the $100 in your pockets.)
I tried to rep ya..............but it won't let me. :cheers:

thanks for all the feedback,folks. so if i opened up the muffler a bit what would happen?any noticeable power increase or is it a waste of time?

thanks for all the feedback,folks. so if i opened up the muffler a bit what would happen?any noticeable power increase or is it a waste of time?

There is a good amount of power trapped in that muffler if you don't mind the extra noise. There are many versions out there that you can mod yours to. Watch the hole in the front of the muffler, as it can catch bark on fire in a big cut. I made a double barrel version for mine.

It is not that simple - not at all.....:)

...the powerband wideness is at both ends, not only at the low end...

Yes. I realise this. :cheers:

The power band is measured between the peak of the Power curve and the peak of the Torque curve. Power is work performed per minute expressed as ft-lbf/min = Developed Horse Power (speed). Torque is rotational Force expressed in lbf-ft = Brake Horse Power (grunt).

I have re-read the thread and I have not been entirely accurate - though the premiss is there. Alot of what I have said is referring to the Torque curve in relation to the power curve, and other Torque curves. Torque curves can also be wide or peeky.

The 2165 has better Torque attributes for pulling a longer bar for its given displacement.

I have also noticed here on AS: everyone seems to believe the Jonsered saws to be the exact same saw as a Husqvarna equivalent [minus ergonomics & colour]. This is not so.

I am probably doing this though :deadhorse:

The power band is measured between the peak of the Power curve and the peak of the Torque curve. ....

That is just theory, and over-simplified, what the saws can do outside that band is often very interesting, and varies greatly, specially at the top end.

Regarding Jonsered vs. Husky, it has been a gradual prosess - the 2095 that you have showed very little influence from Husky, while others just have different handlebars and plastic. Some times there is other small differences as well, but it is more the exception than the rule.

power bands, read as revs, flat torque curves can't be beat, peak numbers aren't important, a saw with a 2000 rev power band is a heap of junk even if it's got a big HP figure

Again, and ST's gonna agree with me on this one, forget about using bars longer than 18 inches on saws less than 70cc, it's crazy - if you're often digging into 18 inch plus logs you're gonna need a decent sized power head, 20inch plus bars and chains on 60cc saws are pretty much a nonsense... sure they'll cut, but they're outta their league for the consistently big stuff if you want easy effortless cutting - and who doesn't??

Yes! Finally someone who gets it.

That is just theory, and over-simplified, what the saws can do outside that band is often very interesting, and varies greatly, specially at the top end.

Yes. I agree. The Torque curve is only half way in the Power band yet has most significance.

The top end: depends on the application. Speed is nothing if it bogs. Good for limbing though.

power bands, read as revs, flat torque curves can't be beat, peak numbers aren't important, a saw with a 2000 rev power band is a heap of junk even if it's got a big HP figure

This is my way of thinking too :monkey:

Regarding Jonsered vs. Husky, it has been a gradual prosess - the 2095 that you have showed very little influence from Husky, while others just have different handlebars and plastic. Some times there is other small differences as well, but it is more the exception than the rule.

Troll, I noticed you compared the 365 instead of the 2165 in an earlier post; if you check the spec.s of them both [in fact all Jonsered vs Husqvarna saws - at least the few I compared] they have different readings. Have you noticed? :monkey: :monkey:

:heart: Finally got an avatar up:heart:

Hell,
i have got an offer its hard to cancel. I can get a dolmar 7300, 5,7 reliable hp and 20 % reduction on the prize. I also have read this thread, and it is interesting. I think both saws are strong contenders 361,365. The 361 are reavier, the 365 torquer. I read an article on german, they tested 372, dolmar 7300, and i didnt understand that much, it was german, but the figured showed that the dolmar DID have teh upper hand in power in the test. Thje others had lesser power compared to the papervsreality, but the dolmar7300 scored 5,7=5,7 hp, that is reliable, i think i will order thje 7300 since i get 20 %, and the dealer guarantees they have lots of parts for it, if anything should happpen.

Yes! Finally someone who gets it.

So let me get this straight Peter...if someone agrees with you, even though that means they disagree with most people on this board, but still, if they agree with you, then they "get it?"

Pretty presumptuous on your part, don't you think?

Troll, I noticed you compared the 365 instead of the 2165 in an earlier post; if you check the spec.s of them both [in fact all Jonsered vs Husqvarna saws - at least the few I compared] they have different readings. Have you noticed? :monkey: :monkey: ...

Often there are small differenses, yes - some are real, others are "paper only"......

Last edited:
Hell,
i have got an offer its hard to cancel. I can get a dolmar 7300, 5,7 reliable hp and 20 % reduction on the prize. I also have read this thread, and it is interesting. I think both saws are strong contenders 361,365. The 361 are reavier, the 365 torquer. I read an article on german, they tested 372, dolmar 7300, and i didnt understand that much, it was german, but the figured showed that the dolmar DID have teh upper hand in power in the test. Thje others had lesser power compared to the papervsreality, but the dolmar7300 scored 5,7=5,7 hp, that is reliable, i think i will order thje 7300 since i get 20 %, and the dealer guarantees they have lots of parts for it, if anything should happpen.

Just as well you don't understand German, as most of that "test" was just journalistic BS, but there is no reason they should fake the dyno results - however, they were conducted on Dolmars dyno.......

What is the difference between them then?

The Jonsered line seem to all have a flatter Torque curve. They both have peak Torque @7000rpm, but the 2165 puts out 3.7Nm of Torque while the 365 puts out 3.9Nm of Torque. The Power is 2.7kW and 2.8kW respectively.

The 2165 has less developed Hp, and less peak Torque, but has a flatter Torque curve: it is 'torquier'.

The 365 has more developed Hp, and more peak Torque, but has a peaky Torque curve: it is 'peakier'.

Below are links to .pdf documents from a website someone posted here at AS [thank you] but is in German? I think. Scroll down to "Motorleistung" to compare spec.s - unfortunately only the 365 .pdf has a graphic of both Power (P) and Torque (Md) curves. My translation for: Drehzahl = RPM: Drehmoment = Torque: Liestung = Power.

2165 in .pdf format: http://www.dlg-test.de/pbdocs/5042.pdf

365 in .pdf format: http://www.dlg-test.de/pbdocs/4845.pdf

Website: http://www.dlg.org/de/landwirtschaft/testzentrum/pruefberichte/forstkommunal.html#Motor

The Jonsered line seem to all have a flatter Torque curve. They both have peak Torque @7000rpm, but the 2165 puts out 3.7Nm of Torque while the 365 puts out 3.9Nm of Torque. The Power is 2.7kW and 2.8kW respectively.

The 2165 has less developed Hp, and less peak Torque, but has a flatter Torque curve: it is 'torquier'.

The 365 has more developed Hp, and more peak Torque, but has a peaky Torque curve: it is 'peakier'.

Below are links to .pdf documents from a website someone posted here at AS [thank you] but is in German? I think. Scroll down to "Motorleistung" to compare spec.s - unfortunately only the 365 .pdf has a graphic of both Power (P) and Torque (Md) curves. My translation for: Drehzahl = RPM: Drehmoment = Torque: Liestung = Power.

2165 in .pdf format: http://www.dlg-test.de/pbdocs/5042.pdf

365 in .pdf format: http://www.dlg-test.de/pbdocs/4845.pdf

Website: http://www.dlg.org/de/landwirtschaft/testzentrum/pruefberichte/forstkommunal.html#Motor

Those results are no more different than two saws of the same model could be, so don't get too exited over those dyno results. They are a good source of reference, but not the final truth about anything, at least not when you use them to draw such conclutions.
Do you happen to know how many saws of each model they tested?

Back