jonsered 2165 ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I will add my 2 cents in here.

I have a bone stock 2065 (mild muffler job) that wears a 20" & Stihl RS

It does just fine in full bar cuts.

I had it out yesterday cutting white oak & it flew right through it with no problem at all.

I have also noticed here on AS: everyone seems to believe the Jonsered saws to be the exact same saw as a Husqvarna equivalent [minus ergonomics & colour]. This is not so.

Sorry 2095, but now a days they are exactly the same, minus the cosmetic stuff you mentioned. Same internal parts and even the same part numbers. (Jonsered numbers however use a dash between the 3rd and 4th digits).

Earlier generations of saws such as your 2095 were indeed different from corresponding Huskies.

20 inch bar works alright on my 2165 but 2 foot+ diameter trees are better suited to 044's and their like, but spike60, that means the whole trigger assembly off a 365 will fit a 2165?

Those results are no more different than two saws of the same model could be, so don't get too exited over those dyno results. They are a good source of reference, but not the final truth about anything, at least not when you use them to draw such conclutions.

Yes, maybe so...

Do you happen to know how many saws of each model they tested?

No, I do not. Though I would expect a testing facility such as this to produce competent results.

Sorry 2095, but now a days they are exactly the same, minus the cosmetic stuff you mentioned. Same internal parts and even the same part numbers. (Jonsered numbers however use a dash between the 3rd and 4th digits).

That is interesting. Are all parts the same? I realise the bore/stroke are the same. Is the cylinder the same [port timings]/crank case/muffler all the same too? The carb can be the same on 365 and 2165, though they have two options each [Walbro HD12B/Zama C3M-EL2C].

Earlier generations of saws such as your 2095 were indeed different from corresponding Huskies.

Definately. More so at least.

but spike60, that means the whole trigger assembly off a 365 will fit a 2165?

Not engine perfomance, but a good question.

I have found both Husqvarna and Jonsered spec.s produce a consistency with DLG's findings that one is 'torquier' and one is 'peakier', for these two models at least.

The differences being:

Power, kW/rpm = 3.4/9300

Power, kW/rpm = 3.4/9000

This may seem minor but the same peak Hp developed at a lower rpm is indicative of a flatter Torque curve.

Point is: they are still different. I have written to Jonsered NZ to establish any point(s) of difference, so far without reply. Perhaps some are the same and some are not.

Husqvarna 365: http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOEN/HOEN2005/HOEN2005_1150094-26.pdf

Jonsered 2165: http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/JOEN/JOEN2005/JOEN2005_1150095-26.pdf

Last edited:
Yes, maybe so...

No, I do not. Though I would expect a testing facility such as this to produce competent results.

That is interesting. Are all parts the same? I realise the bore/stroke are the same. Is the cylinder the same [port timings]/crank case/muffler all the same too? The carb can be the same on 365 and 2165, though they have two options each [Walbro HD12B/Zama C3M-EL2C].

Definately. More so at least.

Not engine perfomance, but a good question.

I have found both Husqvarna and Jonsered spec.s produce a consistency with DLG's findings that one is 'torquier' and one is 'peakier', for these two models at least.

The differences being:

Power, kW/rpm = 3.4/9300

Power, kW/rpm = 3.4/9000

This may seem minor but the same peak Hp developed at a lower rpm is indicative of a flatter Torque curve.

Point is: they are still different. I have written to Jonsered NZ to establish any point(s) of difference, so far without reply. Perhaps some are the same and some are not.

Husqvarna 365: http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOEN/HOEN2005/HOEN2005_1150094-26.pdf

Jonsered 2165: http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/JOEN/JOEN2005/JOEN2005_1150095-26.pdf

Why did Husky offer the same ZAma carb on the 365 and then the later models had the Walbro, because the zama had low end troubles on both units.

I have had a 2071, 2171, 371, 372 apart and checked port timing. You aint gonna find enough differences in them to make them run any better than one another as far as performance goes... Emissions is a whole nother matter. The older 2071's and 371's had single ring pistons which seemed to make a little more snot than the newer two ring piston models.

Remember that they made a couple differant p/c variations over the years. There was an open port and closed port cylinder, which had differant ratings, but there wasn't a method to the madness, that I have found. The open ported earlier 365's/2065's had more torque, but less rpm and HP than the newer ones.

Take a brand new 2171 apart and a 372. You will find all of the same parts, with the exception to the color and the top covers and handles will be the only differences.

To answer someone else's question, yes the trigger assy will work, it just won't be the right color

Take a brand new 2171 apart and a 372. You will find all of the same parts, with the exception to the color and the top covers and handles will be the only differences. ....

I agree with everything else you wrote, but I believe the handlebar mounts on the tank/rear handle is different also, because you can't change the handlebar to the other brand, and have the mounts match on the tank - pics to prove that was posted here some time ago.

13000rpm max, I believe, and a pretty decent saw - but the power to weight ratio is not top-notch - that doesn't matter much in the yard, but it does in the woods.......:chainsaw:

The MS361 is a better option there, as it is much lighter and more nimble, and the max rpms are quite a bit higher, with little loss of low rpm torque, if any......

I don't argue with the fact that the 361 is a good saw but hardly a "nimble" one, was on my way to buy one a couple of weeks ago but compared to my 357 it feels a bit "fat azzzed" to use your words :p
though I would probably buy the 361 before 365 ,,,,

I agree with everything else you wrote, but I believe the handlebar mounts on the tank/rear handle is different also, because you can't change the handlebar to the other brand, and have the mounts match on the tank - pics to prove that was posted here some time ago.

Here is a pic of a 365/372 handle on a 2065.

20 inch bar works alright on my 2165 but 2 foot+ diameter trees are better suited to 044's and their like, but spike60, that means the whole trigger assembly off a 365 will fit a 2165?

Yes it will fit. The triggers will have a different part number though only due to the Jonsered trigger being black vs. the Husky gray. Same goes for the fuel caps.

There are absolutely no differences regarding internal parts. There may be some confusion due to some of the changes that have taken place over the years. The point to remember is that both the Jonsered and Husky models received the changes at the same time. So they are consistant in that regard. But if you are comparing two saws that were built a few years apart, you might wrongly conclude that there is a difference between models.

I started a thread a while ago titled "365; the confusion continues" where I went back through the IPL's and service bulletins and chronicled the changes to the 365. There were an awful lot of changes to the 365/2165, but very few to the 372/2171.

I started a thread a while ago titled "365; the confusion continues" where I went back through the IPL's and service bulletins and chronicled the changes to the 365. There were an awful lot of changes to the 365/2165, but very few to the 372/2171.

That was a great tread, thanks for the reminder! :cheers:

Some good information from some knowledgeable people.

But, all I can say is.......why?

Check out the Power ratings below taken from the respective websites current .pdf docs that I posted earlier. You will also notice the 372 is different in Australia.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And for those that believe a higher Hp saw of similar displacement will out pull a Torquier saw: below is the recommended bar lengths for the above.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Different examples of a particular model tested by different entities, with different fuel in different parts of the world will yield different results.

Much the same as different car magazines getting different 0 to 60 times for the same model car. Don't sweat the specs!

Different examples of a particular model tested by different entities, with different fuel in different parts of the world will yield different results.

Much the same as different car magazines getting different 0 to 60 times for the same model car. Don't sweat the specs!

That sure is true, and I believe no two saws of the same model will perform exactly the same either. :)

Latest posts

Back