Jonsered 2171 P/C Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good Afternoon: I may have the opportunity to buy a Jonsered 2171 with a bad piston and cylinder (it was straight gassed) and I have a few questions that I would like your input on:

What would be a fair price if the rest of the saw is in very good condition?

What cylinder would you use as a replacement? OEM or aftermarket?

It will be a normal work saw, maybe a muffler mod and a little port clean up but that will be all.

Thanks for your replies.

Shoot a PM to @spike60 and ask him for the cost of an OEM piston and cylinder. It might surprise you how little the assembly cost. I personally would stick with OEM but that's just my opinion.

Don't count on buying a cylinder till you tear it down and at least try to clean the cylinder up. Might be able to get by with just a new piston. In that case I wouldn't hesitate to put a meteor piston in an OEM cylinder.

Price, around $100, maybe go higher if he's stubborn and/or the saw is in good all around and cosmetic condition. I'd go $150 tops. That way if you have to purchase an expensive part (crank, cylinder) you don't get upside down with it.

Good Afternoon: I may have the opportunity to buy a Jonsered 2171 with a bad piston and cylinder (it was straight gassed) and I have a few questions that I would like your input on:

What would be a fair price if the rest of the saw is in very good condition?

What cylinder would you use as a replacement? OEM or aftermarket?

It will be a normal work saw, maybe a muffler mod and a little port clean up but that will be all.

Thanks for your replies.
Sell it to me. I have the parts to fix it. :)

Thank you for your input. I will have to work on the seller to get the price to a point where it makes sense.

That is the plan, although chainsaw acquisition has nothing to do with sense, or cents!!

Frank

A recent quote I reveived for a 570 piston/cylinder assembly was around $175... A 372 might be nearly the same.

I may have a nice used oem 2171 piston and cylinder if interested in out of town till sat but I'll look if your interested mike

Buy it with the intention of needing to spend $150+ on a new cylinder, and then find out if you can clean it up and save the cylinder (and money)

Latest posts

Back