Jonsered 455 slow/no oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took it out today to cut some firewood and was getting almost no oil to the chain. A quick search on Amazon showed a few to no aftermarket parts. I would like to just rebuild the oiling system but if it something simple, even better. Any ideas what could be wrong with this thing before I break it down? Thing screams like a banshee so I don't want to give up on it.

Thanks. Jason.

Took it out today to cut some firewood and was getting almost no oil to the chain. A quick search on Amazon showed a few to no aftermarket parts. I would like to just rebuild the oiling system but if it something simple, even better. Any ideas what could be wrong with this thing before I break it down? Thing screams like a banshee so I don't want to give up on it.

Thanks. Jason.
Clean the bar groove yet? Take the bar off and clean all of the sawdust and junk where the saw oils from? Did you take bar off and start saw to see if oil is coming out of oiler?

If cleaning the bar groove and such doesn't help, dump the oil out of the tank and clean tank. I pour a few ounces of fuel mix in the tank place the cap back on and shake well. Dump the fuel mix out and refill with bar oil. Sometimes from filling, sawdust makes it way in and clogs the pick up screen. Not saying this is the cure but this has worked for me and it's another thing to try before tearing the saw apart. Good luck

Yeah, I second checking the bar groove, and specifically the oiling hole. Every once in a while, those will get something caught in them and it'll stop things up pretty badly. My 490 has been particularly susceptible to that with the Total bar, for whatever reason.

Mike

Evidently the bar has a small oil port on one side and not the other. So the bar can only be mounted one way. I haven't had time to run it but just looking at it and it seems like an obvious answer.(mounted wrong) I don't know what brand it is but it is made in Norway. Might be original.:confused:

Latest posts

Back