Jonsered 490 gear drive oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjanket

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 490 isn't oiling. Took it apart, looked at the pump and the adjuster mechanism. Noticed two holes in the cylindrical pump slot. I expected leakage from the tank from at least one of these holes with the pump out, but this was not so.

The drive gear looks OK, the flat surface that does the pumping appears OK. However, I do not see an internal drive gear that would drive the pump. Does this internal gear wear out preferentially instead of the drive gear on the pump shaft? Or, am I making this quest too difficult? Do any oil passages block up and cause cessation of flow? What are the steps I need to follow to trace this nettlesome problem and solve it? thanks

Mike

Major Oops!!

My 49SP is having the oiling problem, not my 490. Please apply the initial entry of mine to the problem.
In this regard, please note that the oiler mechanisms of the 490 and 49SP are very different.
It appears a small gear drives the shaft mounted gear that turns the pump and I wonder if the driving gear tends to wear before the driven gear. thanks again

Mike

Latest posts

Back