ECHO cs310 throws the E-clip; even a new one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wills

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I thought the Echo CS310 I bought off CL was going to be useful to me, but it has been just one thing after another. Engine ran, a little unevenly, but I cut a couple 6" logs before I bought it ($70 w/2 new spare chains in the package).
Next day went to use it, then saw that it is not oiling the bar and chain. None. Looked into it along with a friend who does a lot of CS repairs. Found the clutch drum is worn out, and the oil pump does not pump oil. Cleaned and flushed everything. Pump removed, and ran it with a drill, and stilll no oil. OK, order a clutch drum and oil pump. Also ordered a new washer that sets over the drive sprocket on the clutch drum. All installed, along with a new14" Oregon bar and chain. Fired her up, and in 10 seconds or so, still seeing no trace of oil over a piece of cardboard, the E-clip flew off along with the (new) washer. Yes, they were both positioned and installed correctly.

Bought 2 new E-clips, checked the spring that drives the oil pump, and put it back together. Same problem; no oil and E-clip goes flying off, along with the washer and clutch drum. Before I replaced these parts, it didn't throw the clip, it just didn't oil the bar, and the chain and sprocket were literally worn out. Bought the correct bar, and oil holes match up to the oil port. What's going on. What did I miss?

Sad, I sold a nearly new one for 130. Then bought a cs 352. I didn't like the cs310. I lost about 75 dollars but learned from my mistake. . I recommend you sell it instead of sinking more money into it and buy a new cs352. In the end you will be happy with your decision. I know. I've been in neck deep sewer with a cs310 myself. That saw should have been aborted before it was convinced. IMHO. Bless you.

The saw is up and running finally, but a day late and lots of dollars short. The retainer problem was apparently due to the hardware store variety E-clip not being either the exact size, or just being weak. The Echo dealer didn't have the clips, so I measured the groove with a micrometer, went to Ace hardware and bought two clips; 7mm and an 8. The saw threw both of them, but after compressing the 8 slightly in a vise, it stays on.

The oiling problem was not just a bad pump (replaced), but the filter in the tank was plugged. Replaced that; saw runs and oils as it should. All this being said, I will probably sell it, like you, at significant loss.

Yesterday, I bought a CS-3510. Dealer fueled and ran it before I left the store, so I doubt he'd take it back now (even thought I haven't started it yet), to exchange for a 352. Wish I had known all this sooner; I never would have bought that 310. Life lessons, it's all good.
Thanks for your post.

The saw is up and running finally, but a day late and lots of dollars short. The retainer problem was apparently due to the hardware store variety E-clip not being either the exact size, or just being weak. The Echo dealer didn't have the clips, so I measured the groove with a micrometer, went to Ace hardware and bought two clips; 7mm and an 8. The saw threw both of them, but after compressing the 8 slightly in a vise, it stays on.

The oiling problem was not just a bad pump (replaced), but the filter in the tank was plugged. Replaced that; saw runs and oils as it should. All this being said, I will probably sell it, like you, at significant loss.

Yesterday, I bought a CS-3510. Dealer fueled and ran it before I left the store, so I doubt he'd take it back now (even thought I haven't started it yet), to exchange for a 352. Wish I had known all this sooner; I never would have bought that 310. Life lessons, it's all good.
Thanks for your post.
I think you did fine buying the 3510. I read that it is a 34 cc saw replacement for the cs 352. I'm told it's a better saw than the cs 352. I haven't seen one yet. Don't feel badly just yet. Read up on the saw. Dealers like to please AND MOST PLACES HAVE a 30 day return policy if you aren't happy. My guess is you are going to love the cs3510. They did mess the name up a bit. It has that 310 with a 5 stuck in there. Why not name it a cs3451 or something else. I'll never figure that out. Good luck and many Blessings,

I think you did fine buying the 3510. I read that it is a 34 cc saw replacement for the cs 352. I'm told it's a better saw than the cs 352. I haven't seen one yet. Don't feel badly just yet. Read up on the saw. Dealers like to please AND MOST PLACES HAVE a 30 day return policy if you aren't happy. My guess is you are going to love the cs3510. They did mess the name up a bit. It has that 310 with a 5 stuck in there. Why not name it a cs3451 or something else. I'll never figure that out. Good luck and many Blessings,
I agree on the numbers. When I first heard about the 3510, I thought it was the new 310. I have a 352. Really surprised me for a 35cc saw. I have heard great things about the 3510. If I had the extra money I would buy one even though I don't need it.

Back