Jonsered 590 rebiuld -PIC HEAVY-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wbtsyikUSjE

I finally had time today to make a video. The 3/8 that was on the Total bar in the pics was pretty rocked. It's running .325 on a 8 pin. The wood is 13" dry Maple.

I checked the compression after another 10 minutes run time and it's right at 200lbs.

wbtsyikUSjE

I finally had time today to make a video. The 3/8 that was on the Total bar in the pics was pretty rocked. It's running .325 on a 8 pin. The wood is 13" dry Maple.

I checked the compression after another 10 minutes run time and it's right at 200lbs.

Great thread , the chain loos like it was cutting really well to me ,all heavy chips and no dust.Congrats on a great saw rebuild!!:msp_biggrin:

Hmmmmm....looks good Ed. That's gonna make a nice saw. Them 51cc top end's look strikingly familiar......:)

is it me, or does it look like the combustion chamber is smaller than the H55??

IMG_3689.jpg

Im not Mark, but Id thought id share a bit. Yes, the 490, 590, 5k all share the same casting number on the jug, but so do the closed port 55 husky's. The without putting a degree wheel on them, the only visible differences are the bore size (490/5k is 44mm, 590/55 is 45mm) and combustion chamber volume, where the 44mm jugs have a real small chamber. And the 55 jugs have a decomp port. Also, as you already noted, the 44mm's have a full circle piston, and the 590/55's have the regular windowed 45mm piston. Im willing to make a wager that the 55/590 is the exact same part, at least they sure do look that way. I can measure a 55 closed port piston tomorrow, so Ed if you do take the jug back off, we can compare. I do know the casting number is the same for them. ;)

anyone want a CC size on the combustion chamber? I have one off the saw now...

my 55 closed port saw pulls over 170psi stock :D WITH the gasket...

J

Last edited:

my 55 closed port saw pulls over 170psi stock :D WITH the gasket...

J

The 51cc and the 53cc 55s were mostly rated at the same power, but there were "hotter" versions of both sizes of the same basic engine in some older saws - like the 590 and 2051 in 51cc, and the P5500 in 53cc......

Edit; The 2055 was of course the "hottest" of the 53cc saws.

Last edited:
5500? hmm... don't recall that one too much..

I will say the 55 closed port feels MUCH stronger over a PORTED husky 350...that's for SURE! course, we all know about 'factory ratings...' :rolleyes:

J

5500? hmm... don't recall that one too much..

I will say the 55 closed port feels MUCH stronger over a PORTED husky 350...that's for SURE! course, we all know about 'factory ratings...' :rolleyes:

J

Yes, I guess we all know that the max power ratings only give you an indication of what to expect.

Correction to my earlier post, the 2055 was of course the "hottest" of the 53cc saws! :)

The P5500 was basically a 53cc version of the P5000.

Yes, I guess we all know that the max power ratings only give you an indication of what to expect.

Correction to my earlier post, the 2055 was of course the "hottest" of the 53cc saws! :)

The P5500 was basically a 53cc version of the P5000.

?is that why people are after my SUPER low hr 2055??.... :clap: :check:

so, is the P5500 DIFFERENT than the P55, or S55?

and is the cyl the same as the 2055 on the 325 and P5500????

these Partner saws confuse me!! :dizzy:

I plan on taking the 590 back down to get the cc of the combustion chamber. Talking to Wiggs on the phone, we are thinking the 590 has a smaller chamber than the closed port 55.

As far as I know, the 325 and 5500 have the same piston and cylinder. I have an nos 5500 piston here. I have a 325 with a NOS closed port top end. I will be comparing these in the next couple weeks. If there are any difference's to the jug, it may be port timing and combustion chamber cc. From all the info I've gathered so far, I'm willing to bet the 325 and 5500 jug are the same.

I plan on taking the 590 back down to get the cc of the combustion chamber. Talking to Wiggs on the phone, we are thinking the 590 has a smaller chamber than the closed port 55.

As far as I know, the 325 and 5500 have the same piston and cylinder. I have an nos 5500 piston here. I have a 325 with a NOS closed port top end. I will be comparing these in the next couple weeks. If there are any difference's to the jug, it may be port timing and combustion chamber cc. From all the info I've gathered so far, I'm willing to bet the 325 and 5500 jug are the same.

just by looking at them (590 and 55 closed port), that's what i'd guess...smaller CC chamber...

J

J

I guess that is at least part of the reason!

The P55, S55 etc (including the P550) are totally differerent from the P5500 - they are a much older and heavier basic design (R16 "family", dating back to the late 1960s).

Latest posts

Back