Jonsered 670 model ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Jonsered 670 decals are gone serial number 9370118.I hope someone can tell me which model of 670 it is ie regular 670 Super 11 or Champ.
Thanks Kash
That would be an 89 model year so it is likely a Super or regular 670 with the two piece ign. Not a Super II or Champ

The 670 has the two piece ignition black tag but has the fine thread crankshaft for the clutch.
What is the difference between the early Super and the regular 670 other than crankshaft threads?
Kash

The 670 has the two piece ignition black tag but has the fine thread crankshaft for the clutch.
What is the difference between the early Super and the regular 670 other than crankshaft threads?
Kash
The earliest 670s had the impulse line made into the rubber intake boot and I believe had the coarse thread clutch. The later ones had the external impluse line and the fine thread crank/clutch. Other than that I don't think things changed much until the case change which then became the Super II and then became the "Champ"

TKS Cantdog
There was a part added to the air filter elbow it secures the carb manifold bolt to the saw body it has a hole threw the case beside the choke and the nut goes on the outside of the saw body.
At my summer camp I have a binder with several Jonsereds service manuals it shows this as an improvement it also lists a piston change or a cylinder change and a few other changes and at what serial numbers it happened at.
When I get out there in May I will post the info.
Kash

TKS Cantdog
There was a part added to the air filter elbow it secures the carb manifold bolt to the saw body it has a hole threw the case beside the choke and the nut goes on the outside of the saw body.
At my summer camp I have a binder with several Jonsereds service manuals it shows this as an improvement it also lists a piston change or a cylinder change and a few other changes and at what serial numbers it happened at.
When I get out there in May I will post the info.
Kash
Yeah there may have been a couple P&C changes over the years. First the one I mentioned about the impluse design. I have not seen them in a 670 but they tried the two thin ring pistons in the 630 for a while. But just because I haven't seen them in a 670 doesn't mean much. Then the later Super II or Champ had the larger transfers same as the 268XP Husky cyls......these can be identified by looking at the transfer bulge on the flywheel side with the recoil cover removed.....the outside of the bulge has been machined away to allow the flywheel to clear.

Yeah there may have been a couple P&C changes over the years. First the one I mentioned about the impluse design. I have not seen them in a 670 but they tried the two thin ring pistons in the 630 for a while. But just because I haven't seen them in a 670 doesn't mean much. Then the later Super II or Champ had the larger transfers same as the 268XP Husky cyls......these can be identified by looking at the transfer bulge on the flywheel side with the recoil cover removed.....the outside of the bulge has been machined away to allow the flywheel to clear.
Think that was the Gil2 cylinder for that.

Just did a champ and buy was it a eye opener of all the changes they made in a series.

j670gil22.jpgj670cyl.jpgj670gil2.jpg

Think that was the Gil2 cylinder for that.

Just did a champ and buy was it a eye opener of all the changes they made in a series.

View attachment 1039711View attachment 1039712View attachment 1039713
Hmmm....interesting I have a Champ too but it has a Mahle cyl. The open port Gilardoni cyl used on the later non XP 268 Huskys was a very well crafted cyl. Another interesting fact is I have a 630 Super II and it sports a bathtub shaped combustion chamber rather than the normal round type. It's lightly ported and MMed and tunes to 14,4000 rpm..... real good runner.

Hmmm....interesting I have a Champ too but it has a Mahle cyl. The open port Gilardoni cyl used on the later non XP 268 Huskys was a very well crafted cyl. Another interesting fact is I have a 630 Super II and it sports a bathtub shaped combustion chamber rather than the normal round type. It's lightly ported and MMed and tunes to 14,4000 rpm..... real good runner.
I was told this by jred guru. 3 cyl were used. Where I save my info while learning them. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/jonsered/jonsered-670-625/

Talking with a guy in CRB that collects and from his reading on them. = between the Mahle , KS, Gil2, the Gil was the hottest running they said

I didnt know they used KS on them too.

Jhmn = The mahle is probably the most generic of the bunch. It has a combustion chamber like the 268 and average sized ports.

The KS has a combustion chamber like the mahle but had larger lower transfers and a step on the bottom of the exhaust port.

The gilardoni has a smaller combustion chamber large lower transfers and the step in the exhaust port as well.

Gilardoni, is definitely the hottest running of the 3 in stock form.

mahle cylinders have had mahle pistons and my ks and gilardoni have had ks pistons.

I was told this by jred guru. 3 cyl were used. Where I save my info while learning them. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/jonsered/jonsered-670-625/

Talking with a guy in CRB that collects and from his reading on them. = between the Mahle , KS, Gil2, the Gil was the hottest running they said

I didnt know they used KS on them too.

Jhmn = The mahle is probably the most generic of the bunch. It has a combustion chamber like the 268 and average sized ports.

The KS has a combustion chamber like the mahle but had larger lower transfers and a step on the bottom of the exhaust port.

The gilardoni has a smaller combustion chamber large lower transfers and the step in the exhaust port as well.

Gilardoni, is definitely the hottest running of the 3 in stock form.

mahle cylinders have had mahle pistons and my ks and gilardoni have had ks pistons.
Yes that could well be true.....Giliardoni certainly makes very nice castings......I remember the open port 268 Husky had one more cooling fin than the Mahle XP cyls and the whole unit was very smooth.

I wonder what years they used what P&C set ups? Only 5 or so years of the Super II/Champ.

Hello All,

I just recently picked up a Jonsered 670. I was hoping someone wiser than myself could help me properly identify what year/model it is. It is a black tag serial# 0410479. It has the 2 piece coil as well.

Thanks,
Collin

Attachments

• Jonsered 670.jpg
    Jonsered 670.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hello All,

I just recently picked up a Jonsered 670. I was hoping someone wiser than myself could help me properly identify what year/model it is. It is a black tag serial# 0410479. It has the 2 piece coil as well.

Thanks,
Collin
Welcome to the site Collin

Yours would be a 1990 saw, built in the 41st week, 479th unit......

Another question for ya. While cleaning and inspecting this saw I pulled the muffler and noticed there was no heat shield behind it. Did the 670's not come with one or is mine just missing it?

Thanks,

Collin

I believe they should- all IPL's I have access to are 625/670 ones and they show a heat shield.

Latest posts

Back