Jonsered 70 and 70E whats the differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
difference in mainly electronic ignition on the 70E I think. other than that, there isnt anything different.

Yes, I was just looking on M.A. site. I have 3 of these saws and of course they have no decals. The only outside differences I see , is that there are 2 different muffler styles. Other than that looking at them they look the same. I just got them, one runs great, the other 2 need carbs rebuilt. They all have good spark, and good compression. One needs rubber anti-vibe parts and some detail parts. Thanks for your help and input, it is appreciated!! Bob

Does anybody have a saw that is confirmed to be a plain old 70? Still has the decals on it? The acres site has a catalogue shot of the 70 but I'd like to see a real pic. I'm thinking that the 70 must be much less common than the 70E.

I've probably had 10 or so 70E jonsereds through in the past and ZERO plain old 70s. My intertec manual doesn't even list a 70, just the 70E.

I think either the regular 70 was a very short production run before the 70E was produced in its place, or it was not a very popular model until the 70E was made. Mange, or Motorsag know more than I about this though.

arnbobold said:
Yes, I was just looking on M.A. site. I have 3 of these saws and of course they have no decals. The only outside differences I see , is that there are 2 different muffler styles. Other than that looking at them they look the same. I just got them, one runs great, the other 2 need carbs rebuilt. They all have good spark, and good compression. One needs rubber anti-vibe parts and some detail parts. Thanks for your help and input, it is appreciated!! Bob

You have THREE of them, and they will all run? What a find! These saws are very valuable in the sense that a great many parts are NLA. I know of several that are kind of "retired" for want of a simple part or two. Most people who have owned one, say it was the best saw they ever had. (But not the lightest!)

These saws are notorious for short lived ignition coils. I've even been told of saws in which the coil went bad on the shelf before ever being fired! That part that is NLA, that one golden part, is a good ignition coil. Any value in a 70E is in a good coil.

I have heard this before. But my father has had his since they first started making the 70E, and has never had any problems with his ignition system. And he uses it in a tree business and has since he bought it. He did however have the cylinder and piston replaced. The dealer that sold it to him found the parts, he didn't know he had them. Cost him about 100.00 parts and labor. That was couple of years ago. Granted he has other saws also, so it's not like that is all he uses. But he has had good luck with his. Bob

Back