Jonsered 920 any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be the third time this thread has been dug out of the cobwebs. So I won't feel foolish for asking is there a difference between a 920 and 920 Super? I read 920 super is 54mm but Mine is a 920 (Non Super)

I've found a used Jonsered 920 at a pawn shop for $350 Canadian (~$255 U.S.). How old is this saw and is it any good? I'm planning on building a chainsaw mill and I'm looking for a used saw big enough to do the job. Any advice anyone could give would be appreciated.
I bought an early one in the 1980s. I did a lot of milling with it with a 34in. Total Super bar. For other use I also ran a 24in. bar. They are very strong, but, as others have noted, filtration was not great. I have milled some very hard stuff such as Honey Locust, White Oak, & Sugar Maple with good results but usually had to stop after cutting about 3ft. to clean the filter because the saw began to run rich. FWIW, Many of the boards & slabs I produced were 20-24IN. wide. When I didn't use it for a few months, I sometimes had to pull the plug & the starter cord a few times before I was able to overcome the stiffness & the compression. The original version had a Tillotson carb with a governor which we bypassed. It was an easy saw to tune & wanted to run in the neighborhood of 13,500 RPM for best performance. I had the saw for about 30 years & traded it in on a Stihl 201. Advancing age & arthritis had taken a toll on me. The 920 was still in pristine condition & running perfectly at that time.

I envisioned it to be a contender to the 056 super Sounds like the durability is there as well .I will make a mental note on the governor and RPM.... thanks for posting.
I think the Stihl 051 was 5.3cc as was the 920. I may be mistaken, & it could well be that the 056 was of the same displacement. I was milling one day with a friend who had a Stihl which I thought was an 051. The two saws were about equal. The dealer who sold me the 920 knew I could tune a carb. We both felt it was best to do the bypass. I later learned that many of them had seized, & I seriously suspect that the governor tricked the operator into thinking that the saw was 4-stroking (much like the cursed rev limiters), & they adjusted it too lean believing that it was running rich!! If the saw is in good running condition, it should serve you well.

Some of the ways I have been thinking are certainly in need of a review. The 056 super VS. the 920 seems to be a push-off. the 13500 governor bypass certainly gives the 920 a big edge. GOLLY GEE The cubes still keep reminding me of the good 'Ole' days. I will post more tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back