Jonsered CS 2166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffreyZirkle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Tore the saw down today and found this. So whats my best option to fix this. And except the piston and head, should I replace anything else.
Aftermarket parts ?
If so, what Husqvarna model is equivalent ?
f9a496b7ef853cdcf457775869f4f950.jpg
817d982bcc178056be30cbc22efb8612.jpg
1ea79f829903c64c74764935a585bba7.jpg
7e50c02290b5ac05bf4684821425183a.jpg
31f295d61fbb0dd5838b650a6fa0d47d.jpg
1e27fb5e7b394db70ccfbc2504cb8622.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tore the saw down today and found this. So whats my best option to fix this. And except the piston and head, should I replace anything else.
Aftermarket parts ?

And except the piston and head, should I replace anything else.

I'd say bearings and seals at the very least- possibly crank as well.
You should split the cases and figure out which hard metal bit fell apart, took a loop through the transfers and destroyed the piston before you bolt a new top end on and cross your fingers.

And except the piston and head, should I replace anything else.

I'd say bearings and seals at the very least- possibly crank as well.
You should split the cases and figure out which hard metal bit fell apart, took a loop through the transfers and destroyed the piston before you bolt a new top end on and cross your fingers.
Rings blew apart but yes I agree that I probably should replace all the bearings

Never seen rings just blow apart- something made that big gouged area through the lands and broke the rings in the process.
The bearing inside the piston was intact so only other thing it could be is the bearing on the crank. Only thing I have not done yet is split the case in half

I have not ran this saw much, I bet I have not cut more than 5 to 10 cords of wood with it

I have not ran this saw much, I bet I have not cut more than 5 to 10 cords of wood with it

From new? Or you buy it secondhand?
If not the bottom end bearing- it could be part of the crank bearing cage from either side, or broken off bearing shell.
Possible it may have come from the intake side of the saw if the carb butterfly is missing a screw, or the earth strap burns off the sparkplug and falls down.

If it was bouncing around for a while before it caught in the lands- the top of the piston should look like someone took to it with a jackhammer.

From new? Or you buy it secondhand?
If not the bottom end bearing- it could be part of the crank bearing cage from either side, or broken off bearing shell.
Possible it may have come from the intake side of the saw if the carb butterfly is missing a screw, or the earth strap burns off the sparkplug and falls down.

If it was bouncing around for a while before it caught in the lands- the top of the piston should look like someone took to it with a jackhammer.
No,I bought it brand new and was a back up saw. Maybe 4 gallons of fuel ran through it.

Top of the piston looks good. But I can take pics of it when I get back over to the shop.

My problems all started with the compression switch. A few weeks before the saw went down, I pulled and pulled and pulled and like to never got it started. I pulled the compression plug out after discovered that it was depressed. Once I popped it up, the saw fired up first pull.

No,I bought it brand new and was a back up saw. Maybe 4 gallons of fuel ran through it.

Top of the piston looks good. But I can take pics of it when I get back over to the shop.

My problems all started with the compression switch. A few weeks before the saw went down, I pulled and pulled and pulled and like to never got it started. I pulled the compression plug out after discovered that it was depressed. Once I popped it up, the saw fired up first pull.

Thats another option.
Decomp pushed in, saw stored, shaft of decomp rusted up- end broke off when you pulled it out, rust sealed the hole up, saw started- decomp nub destroyed saw.

Thats another option.
Decomp pushed in, saw stored, shaft of decomp rusted up- end broke off when you pulled it out, rust sealed the hole up, saw started- decomp nub destroyed saw.
I looked at the cylinder pics, decompression plug is still in it and looks fine. I will look at a pic on line, but it appears to be a flat bottom

What about the bearing cage?
Educate me of what bearing we are talking about, if we are talking about the bearing that is in the piston, it was good and all the roller bearings are there.
The only other bearing I know of is the one at the cam

Educate me of what bearing we are talking about, if we are talking about the bearing that is in the piston, it was good and all the roller bearings are there.
The only other bearing I know of is the one at the cam

Go back to #7, there are three more bearings that can start breaking up and letting bits of hard metal into the bore- the big end bearing between crank lobes and inside the big bottom end of the con rod, then either of the two crank shaft case bearings that hold the crank itself in correct orientation in relationship to the bore of the cylinder.
If your saw has a cam- maybe it was the timing chain. :innocent:

Back