Jonsereds 621 value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treefirtwo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 1981 all-original Jonsereds 62-621 with 20" bar in excellent running condition. Starts right up and chews through hardwood as good as my newer Husqvarna 372XP. I can hardly tell the difference performance-wise between the two. However, I figure I don't need two big saws, hence I am buying a smaller Echo CS-310 for limbing and bucking. I have owned the Jonsereds 621 since it was new and still have the original sales slip dated 10/23/81 which indicates that I paid a total of $541.31 when I bought it over thirty years ago. I also have the original "1st edition" Operators and Parts manuals as well as the original warranty -- which I never needed!
Does anybody have any idea of what I could sell this beast for today, and where -- the J-621 power head with 20" Windsor bar attached, two Oregon chisel chains, sprocket tool plus the original paperwork? As said, it runs like a champ!

Condition is everything. How much paint is missing? Are the decals still intact? Is the plug cover missing? Is the hand guard missing? Does the handle have all of the covering on it and how discolored is it? Are the A/V mounts tight? As this saw is mainly a collectable now, all of these factors are important in placing a value on it.

Around here they usually go somewhere in the $100-150 range. Some may think this is a little high for a 30 yr old saw, but there are a lot of firewood cutters around here and most people like a saw that is close to bullet proof and reliable.

The 62 (1968) and 621 (1970) were great saws in their prime time (basically the 1970s), and still work very well for blocking firewood logs - but I use mine sparingly, as some parts are scarse, and it has mostly nostalgic value to me.

They aren't high rpm saws, and really need the 3/8"x8 drive sprocket, that was standard when they were new.

I'll take some pics and post them here in a couple of days, after the holiday. The top aluminum housing is quite discolored--should I try to buff/clean that up or is it best left alone? As for the red-painted parts, very little if any of the paint seems to be missing. There are no decals, and it didn't come with any to the best of my recollection. The spark plug cover is completely intact as is the hand guard and the handles and mounts all look good in good shape to me. Again, the pics will be a better indication. I would appreciate an opinion once I post the images. Collectible or not, it is still a pretty darned good machine for accomplishing the task it was intended to do which is to cut trees and logs like crazy. Lots of power and torque in this baby.

Condition is everything. How much paint is missing? Are the decals still intact? Is the plug cover missing? Is the hand guard missing? Does the handle have all of the covering on it and how discolored is it? Are the A/V mounts tight? As this saw is mainly a collectable now, all of these factors are important in placing a value on it.

Hei, SawTroll,

Jeg ser du er norsk. Jeg er halv norsk selv, født i New York og bor i Connecticut. Jeg lærte å snakke litt norsk lenge siden, da jeg var bare en liten gutt. Jeg fungerer fortsatt noenlunde med språket. Jeg hadde en latter nylig da jeg leste en artikkel i The New York Times som fortalte om et 12-timers-langt NRK program hvor spesialister gir kommentarer gav råd om hvordan man skall riktig behandle brendselsved!

The 62 (1968) and 621 (1970) were great saws in their prime time (basically the 1970s), and still work very well for blocking firewood logs - but I use mine sparingly, as some parts are scarse, and it has mostly nostalgic value to me.

They aren't high rpm saws, and really need the 3/8"x8 drive sprocket, that was standard when they were new.

Hei, SawTroll,

Jeg ser du er norsk. Jeg er halv norsk selv, født i New York og bor i Connecticut. Jeg lærte å snakke litt norsk lenge siden, da jeg var bare en liten gutt. Jeg fungerer fortsatt noenlunde med språket. Jeg hadde en latter nylig da jeg leste en artikkel i The New York Times som fortalte om et 12-timers-langt NRK program hvor spesialister gir kommentarer gav råd om hvordan man skall riktig behandle brendselsved!

Cool, doesn't look like you have forgotten much at all! However, I don't think it is a good idea to write in Norwegian in the open forum. A few members can of course read it, but most can't....:msp_wink:

That TV program has been up for discussion on the AS before - I was actually quite disappointed with it!

Last edited:
Apologies, no more norsk. You're right, of course; out of place here.

That magnesium top cover -- it's quite tarnished and pitted. Should I try to clean or buff it (and if so, how?) or will that detract from the value as a potential collectible?

The top cover isn't aluminum, it is magnesium. The "silver" is just the finish of the "silvertops". :msp_smile:

I would leave it as is - refinishing or repainting basically destroys the collectors value, and it's normal that the "silvertop" looks a bit "tiered". Pictures would of course not hurt...

Back