Jotul F400 Install & Garage Refurb - pic heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tballard

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thought y'all might enjoy this. I'll try to keep the post as short as possible, but that's kinda hard when all-in, i've got 150+ hours and ~$1500-$2000 invested. I'll start by saying that I've never done any "real" carpentry or masonary work before; I'm more of a gearhead / harry homeowner. A little background...about 2 years ago we took down a pretty good sized Tulip Poplar and I had my neighbor mill it into 1X6's for a temporary fence I was gonna put up. That fence never happened, so I had about 500 linear ft of this board sitting in my driveway. I always thought barn-siding would look cool on the inside of the garage... then a customer GIVES ME a '04 Jotul F400 because he wanted a pellet stove. The Jotul had sit outside for a while and was pretty rusted up, but it wasn't anything a wire-wheel, stove bright, and some new gaskets couldn't fix. Also, I had some leftover manufactured stone verneer from when my house was built 8 years ago..it was bugging me that it was taking up space in my storage area in the basement...so a project was born!

This first pic is the outside of my house. There's a 3-car garage, but i put windows in the third bay so it would be reserved as a workshop area. This is where the project took place. Note this is the only shot of the outside Duraplus triple-wall stainless class A chimney. I was nervous as hell cutting a hole in the roof - remember I'm not a carpenter. There's only 6' of Class A and 6-8' of interior black pipe (heat fab 6" 22 guage) and YES it drafts just fine!
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92877&stc=1&d=1237077024

Next pic is the interior of the garage. there was some sheetrock in there, and some shelving and stuff, but that's it. I tore all that out and reworked the crappy electrical stuff that was there. This is after the electrical work was done and I had cut the hole in the ceiling for the chimney. Turns out there wasn't any insulation up there, so I put in R38. Man that was a shnitty job....
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92878&stc=1&d=1237077281

A lot of work took place before I took the next pic. I insulated the ceiling, installed the chimney, closed the ceiling with 5/8 fire rated drywall (HEAVY), insulated the walls with R13, covered the walls with OSB, except for 4' out from the both sides of the corner where the woodstove goes. That got covered with 5/8 fire rated drywall (did I mention that stuff is heavy?). Next, I used a planner on that pile of 1X6 tulip poplar and brad-nailed it to the OSB. (LOVE the pnuematic brad nailer - who knew that could be so much fun?) I installed 1" stand-offs from the 5/8 drywall using hat-channel and installed 5/8 durock (also heavy) on the stand-offs. I left a 2" air inlet at the bottom and top of the durock wall. This created a heat-shield for the woodstove. With the project unfinished, I couldn't wait so I installed the stove and fired it up! I burned for about a month like this before I covered the durock with the stone verneer. Note that in these pictures the stove pipe is a straight shot. In this configuration I had basically zero clearance and everything was getting way hot. In the last picture you'll see two 45's to get the stove off the wall a bit.

Here's the front wall.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92879&stc=1&d=1237077258

Here's the side wall.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92880&stc=1&d=1237077264

And here's a picture of the whole thing looking at it from the "1st bay" of the garage.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92881&stc=1&d=1237077269

to be continued in a reply...only five pictures allowed per post...

uh...guess I didn't do the pic thing right...trying again...
attachme...1&d=1237077024

attachme...1&d=1237077281

attachme...1&d=1237077258

attachme...1&d=1237077264

attachme...1&d=1237077269

attachme...1&d=1237078235

thought y'all might enjoy this. I'll try to keep the post as short as possible, but that's kinda hard when all-in, i've got 150+ hours and ~$1500-$2000 invested. I'll start by saying that i've never done any "real" carpentry or masonary work before; i'm more of a gearhead / harry homeowner. A little background...about 2 years ago we took down a pretty good sized tulip poplar and i had my neighbor mill it into 1x6's for a temporary fence i was gonna put up. That fence never happened, so i had about 500 linear ft of this board sitting in my driveway. I always thought barn-siding would look cool on the inside of the garage... Then a customer gives me a '04 jotul f400 because he wanted a pellet stove. The jotul had sit outside for a while and was pretty rusted up, but it wasn't anything a wire-wheel, stove bright, and some new gaskets couldn't fix. Also, i had some leftover manufactured stone verneer from when my house was built 8 years ago..it was bugging me that it was taking up space in my storage area in the basement...so a project was born!

This first pic is the outside of my house. There's a 3-car garage, but i put windows in the third bay so it would be reserved as a workshop area. This is where the project took place. Note this is the only shot of the outside duraplus triple-wall stainless class a chimney. I was nervous as hell cutting a hole in the roof - remember i'm not a carpenter. There's only 6' of class a and 6-8' of interior black pipe (heat fab 6" 22 guage) and yes it drafts just fine!
attachment.php

next pic is the interior of the garage. There was some sheetrock in there, and some shelving and stuff, but that's it. I tore all that out and reworked the crappy electrical stuff that was there. This is after the electrical work was done and i had cut the hole in the ceiling for the chimney. Turns out there wasn't any insulation up there, so i put in r38. Man that was a shnitty job....
attachment.php

a lot of work took place before i took the next pic. I insulated the ceiling, installed the chimney, closed the ceiling with 5/8 fire rated drywall (heavy), insulated the walls with r13, covered the walls with osb, except for 4' out from the both sides of the corner where the woodstove goes. That got covered with 5/8 fire rated drywall (did i mention that stuff is heavy?). Next, i used a planner on that pile of 1x6 tulip poplar and brad-nailed it to the osb. (love the pnuematic brad nailer - who knew that could be so much fun?) i installed 1" stand-offs from the 5/8 drywall using hat-channel and installed 5/8 durock (also heavy) on the stand-offs. I left a 2" air inlet at the bottom and top of the durock wall. This created a heat-shield for the woodstove. With the project unfinished, i couldn't wait so i installed the stove and fired it up! I burned for about a month like this before i covered the durock with the stone verneer. Note that in these pictures the stove pipe is a straight shot. In this configuration i had basically zero clearance and everything was getting way hot. In the last picture you'll see two 45's to get the stove off the wall a bit.

Here's the front wall.
attachment.php

here's the side wall.
attachment.php

and here's a picture of the whole thing looking at it from the "1st bay" of the garage.
attachment.php

to be continued in a reply...only five pictures allowed per post...

Put

Looks good, really like that Poplar look.

Was just thinking...have any more of the lick and stick stone? Maybe make a ledge and run it all the way down to the floor?

I grew up in bowie what part of Annapolis are you?

I'm in Davidsonville, near 214 and Riva Rd. Small world...

have any more of the lick and stick stone? Maybe make a ledge and run it all the way down to the floor?

HA! lick and stick! I wish it were that easy! I do have a little left over. I'd probably have to buy another $50 or so (no big deal). I thought about doing that and maybe I just will! Thanks for the idea.

I drive by pastranas place just about every day. Funny story... there's some trails behind my house and the neighbors and I ride on them. The neighbors are friends with the pastranas. One day, I see travis in my back yard riding a little honda CRF50/70. He looked like a deer in the headlights; like "oh,shnit, i'm in this guy's yard, busted!" I just waived and walked on by...

I drive by pastranas place just about every day. Funny story... there's some trails behind my house and the neighbors and I ride on them. The neighbors are friends with the pastranas. One day, I see travis in my back yard riding a little honda CRF50/70. He looked like a deer in the headlights; like "oh,shnit, i'm in this guy's yard, busted!" I just waived and walked on by...

Man thats cool. I saw Travis race at the Pontiac Silver Dome a few years back, that is one fast dude.

I'm sure with a neighbour like that, he could set you up with some good stickers for the fridge. It would also be fun to watch those crazy ba$$ards jump anything into the foam pit he has.:cool:

Just havin some fun with the Jred comment.

TS:cheers:

Travis would probably get sick of me being there if I lived near him!
Seen a few of his vidoes and see him at Budds Creek once in a while, crazy dude.

It looks good, but aren't garage installs technically illegal?

NARC!!! Just kidding...I checked with my local inspections and permits office as well as TWO stove shops. No permits are required from the county/state that I could find. I'm sure there's some sort of National Fire Code or Standard that has something against woodstoves in garages, so I'm sure my homeowner's insurance carrier would have something to say about it. I believe that the big issue here is all of the accelerants that are typically stored in a garage. Minus a few spray paint, carb cleaner, wd40 cans which are stored at least 15' away, there are no accelarants in my garage. if push comes to shove, I may build a wall between the actual garage space and the space where the woodstove is, turning that area into a semi-attached office. Then, technically, the woodstove wouldn't be in the garage.

NARC!!! Just kidding...I checked with my local inspections and permits office as well as TWO stove shops. No permits are required from the county/state that I could find. I'm sure there's some sort of National Fire Code or Standard that has something against woodstoves in garages, so I'm sure my homeowner's insurance carrier would have something to say about it. I believe that the big issue here is all of the accelerants that are typically stored in a garage. Minus a few spray paint, carb cleaner, wd40 cans which are stored at least 15' away, there are no accelarants in my garage. if push comes to shove, I may build a wall between the actual garage space and the space where the woodstove is, turning that area into a semi-attached office. Then, technically, the woodstove wouldn't be in the garage.

I'm just glad that you did your homework and understand the situation. Like I said, I like the setup.

Latest posts

Back