jotul fb 500 oslo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100_0022a.jpg

4 degrees F outside this morning, wind @ 20 mph, last load of silver maple @ 11 pm last night, interior temp @ 7 am this morning was 70 degrees F.

Lovin' my Jotul Oslo.

Shari

Last edited:
Nice to know we are hanging on your every word :laugh:

Yeah, right! :)

Got a coal bed going this morning and reloaded after that. Sitting here at 76 inside and it is now 8 outside. Not bad considering the silver maple lower btu's.

I'm holding off on burning my hickory, locust and oak waiting for the 'real' winter weather to get here.

BTW - Heating around 1500+ sq ft, one level home. We close off a couple of rooms for the winter as we don't use them much otherwise the sq ft would be around 1700+.

Shari

Great stove.

Just a couple of minor whines:
1. Our front door is never used to load the stove. The design lacks some way to prevent accumulating ash from splilling out onto the 'lip'. It spills out even with careful brushing.
2. Like ALL non cat EPA stoves, the air control is set for EPA regs: not too open, not too shut down. You can't get the same degree of air control as with some EPA cat stoves or most of the pre-EPA wood stoves. The slider for this needs some graphite lubing from time to time.

Be sure to spend a few $$$ more for the porcelain finish. (is Shari's stove the blue-black, or is it blue as in her avatar ? The truth girl. Truth.;) )

I have the blue black and its great. Don't get the entry level plain black. I don't have any problem with my damper but I don't have as much experience as others with many stoves. The front door thing is spot on but does not bother me. There are some days I wish I had bought the 600 so I could shove more wood in the firebox.

We have the Jotul 500 in our 2700 square foot home. I was so pleased with it I purchased another 500 for the 1800 square foot shop this past summer. Only source of heat we use for both. Was told the 500 might be a little too much for the shop. I found it to be great!

thanks for the feed back, a few of you guys said dont get the plain jane black cast iron. why is that? thats what i was planning on getting

I think that the Oslo is Jotul's best stove. The Firelight is slightly bigger, but the front double door is a PITA. The Oslo has that giant front door, making it easy to load and view.

You will get long burn times and plenty of heat with that stove. Every year or two I would recommend taking apart the reburn system and cleaning it, as it will work better. The first time is tough, but after that it gets much easier.

My in-laws have had an Oslo for over 10 years and they love it.

We have the F118CB and love it. In 30 years of wood burning, it's the best stove we've had.

Seems the blue black is the crowd favorite around here anyways, I had my sights set on the flat black one and the wife talked me into the blue black. The only issue is the ash spilling out of the front door, not that big of a deal, to me anyhow. Our Oslo definitely likes to run hot, usually the top is at atleast 500 and the house is 75-80 in all but the coldest weather, yesterday it was +5 with some breeze and the house was 78 all day with the damper at about 1/2.

FTqTUl.jpg

I'd like to add a caveat here:

Yes, ashes fall out the front door and land on the ash lip (that's what the ash lip is for) - however - someone over on ********** just laid a piece of door gasket in that space (not connected or anything) between the door frame and the body of the stove and they seem to have resolved much of the ash drop.

Personally, I use side door loading - no ash drop problems with that door.

Shari

Latest posts

Back