Jotul stove in action

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know absolutely nothing about the wood stove, but I am considering one now. My fireplace eats wood like I do chocolate. My one question is how do you project the heat in order to heat a house. My house is a 4 pen dog trot log house. Kinda old. The fireplace is in the kitchen where they were in the old times. I only have 1800 Sq feet but half of that is upstairs. How do you place the heat where you want it.? Also what brands should I be checking out?

I know absolutely nothing about the wood stove, but I am considering one now. My fireplace eats wood like I do chocolate. My one question is how do you project the heat in order to heat a house. My house is a 4 pen dog trot log house. Kinda old. The fireplace is in the kitchen where they were in the old times. I only have 1800 Sq feet but half of that is upstairs. How do you place the heat where you want it.? Also what brands should I be checking out?

Go to a stove dealer/store that sells Jotul and get one rated for your 1800 sq feet, wont take a huge one, since you're in Ga. Way, way better than a fire place!

I am not an expert but I'll offer my opinion. It sounds like you are a canidate for a wood stove insert. You would not need a very large one with 1,800 sq feet in Georgia. I find the second floor is never a problem heating because heat rises. Some stoves come with blowers. I do not have a blower on my stove. I use two corner door fans that were cheap. One in each doorway and that is good enough for me. Hopefully, you will get some better ideas from some other forum members. I would encourage you to take/post pics of what you have at the moment. Its hard to steer anyone in a general direction from a vague verbal description. If it were me I would get an idea of what direction you wanted to go and then you can contact a contractor to install what you need. The place in Purcellville Va. that I bought my Jotul from does installations. I paid $100 for them to come out and inspect what I had and advise me of what I needed to satisfy code and make sure I didn't burn my house down. The $100 went towards purchase if I bought the stove from them. Some on this site are much handier than I and do thier own Stainless steel lining of the existing chimney and install it themselves. Do a search. There are a ton of threads on this.

I got the Jotul 550 Rockland a few years back after my first winter in a house running propane. Having no experience with proprane costs prior to that year, I spent a couple thousand dollars heating the house that first year. My second winter I was better prepared and went out and bought the Jotul without doing much research. The sales guy highly recommended it, so went with it since it looked pretty solid. Several years later I believe I made a good choice, but wanted to get some opinions from others - specifically is Jotul a good brand and how does it stack up against other brands? Since installing it, my propane costs per year have gone from thousands to hundreds so I couldn't be more thrilled. To boot, managing the woodpile has become a labor of love. Go ahead and post your stove in action, too!

Rep sent. My original story is exactly like yours. 1st winter about made me broke, bought the Quadra-Fire after an afternoon of shopping on the internet and one trip to the store, etc. Happy burning!

Fireplace insert for me. Fireplace Extroidinair. Nice unit, operates well, only issue is the blower is a bit loud for a living room with a television.

The head operator:

attachment.php

I liked myzamboni's video on the secondaries so I thought I'd share this:

attachment.php

You can probably fit a woodstove in there, just like the picture on post#2 in this thread shows.

This is the hole I have to fill. The opening is 47 inches wide by 45 inches high. View attachment 226916

You'd be crazy to not put in a block-off plate & freestanding wood stove in that HUGE opening. It looks like you have the hearth space, and free standing stoves are just so much better. Run the liner, install a DIY sheet metal block of plate, pick the stove of your choice, and get to burning efficiently.

Sweet rustic fireplace too, love the mantle.

I've got an insert, and it heats the house, and saves me money, but if I did it again I'd go freestanding and extend the hearth if needed. Having a blower run all day is noisy, especially when watching TV at night like someone else said.

226916d1330600513-dscf0001-jpg

Thanks trice....the mantle is a slab of old white pine 12X12 that was cut out of a North Georgia. I looked at stoves online in Georgia but not one site has a price listed. Are those things so expensive they're afraid listing the price will scare everybody off? :eek2:

Latest posts

Back