Just a baby Giant sequoia, but I broke the 50" mark!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityslicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got my hands on a Giant Sequoia this weekend, the tree was about 45 years old and about six feet across at the stump. The butt log is 8' long 56" wide at the big end after I bucked it into millable size The next log is 9' long and 42" at the big end and the last log I am going to mill is 9' long and about 30" at the big end. Once dry I have dreams of using a slab from each log to re-create the tree in table form. I had to hire some grunt to help slide the slabs into the truck. Total approximate board feet this weekend was 850 and the widest part of a few slabs was 54" with one more small log I need to mill. My arms are useless right now and I still need to figure out how to get the slabs out of the truck! Thanks for all your guys help, advice and wisdom on this forum.

City (Slabber) Slicker

View attachment 264119View attachment 264120View attachment 264121View attachment 264122View attachment 264123.

Getting slabs outt truck is easey ,pastic wedges and Bob's trick with broom handles .They will rool rite out ,then the problem begins with catching um . Just go slow and think it threw and be careful . Bring them to Missouri and ill unload for you ,nice SCORE .

That is a great idea with the wedges and rollers, I have some pipe that will work just right. The bar I have is a 69" OAL GB with a non replaceable roller nose. I always try to find them used when I can. I forgot to mention that this wood was a real pleasure to mill, it was very fast cutting. It took maybe 5-7 minutes of saw time to cut each of the big slabs from the butt log. I had the rakers filed at .030.

You're going to have some valuable lumber once it dries. Thanks for posting! It looks like you cut some cookies, too. 54" is big for any kind of tree. How is sequoia for milling?

Here is the whole works stacked up at the area I am renting from the saw mill. I left alot of wood at this site because of time and the cost of my friends helping. The home owner was very happy to have the bulk removed plus I left him a slab from the middle log for him to make a table from. Super nice guy and a great experience for both of us. One of these days I will try to get pictures of the old equipment that still is operating at this mill.

View attachment 268331

That Canadian math is different that what we use down south of the border:hmm3grin2orange:. Since it grew 36" from the center in 45 years that comes to .8"/year.

Oops! You are right, good catch on the math. That divide by 2 always throws me off!

Still, wide growth rings, typical second growth softwood. I have some old growth yellow cedar and red cedar, they have over 40 growth rings per inch.

Back