Just about ready to turn down free wood drop off's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Genius.

Till someone brings a load of Osage Orange:msp_thumbsup:

All my friends and family know I burn wood and they are all bringing me loads and loads of wood that they clear from their properties. Most of it is popular, or ash, or something that is to far rotted to use. 99% of it is stuff that I burn in camp fires or brush fires.

So today I check out a pile that was brought to me to find a large pile of hedge:msp_thumbsup: I've never experienced this stuff... At first the yellow threw me off, I thought its another pile of rotted ####, until I grab my second piece and its about 4x heavier than I expected:msp_thumbup: that's when I realized what I had.

I'll continue accepting free wood, hopefully ill get more:hmm3grin2orange:

hi my name is dave , im a wood snob. those days are gone.esp if you bring it to my door, its al great wood.

Pics?

I guess I'll ask the obligatory question.... Where's the pics? I'm STILL waiting for my first hedge score.....

I'm surprised it grows that far north. It's been propagated all over the country, but a lot of it never survived. We really like hedge. Don't burn it without adding some softwood to temper it a bit. It burns really hot. Good score at any rate.

Bet the guy who delivered it didn't know what he had. :D

Hedge is the Rolls Royce of firewood. It cranks out some serious heat. We aquired several splits in a delivery of mixed last year. I wish there'd been more. :)

I guess I'm lucky,I have access to all the hedge that I want to cut. It is abundant here in Mo. and Ks. It can be a pain to cut,brushy and has some small thorns. YOU need a hard hat ,kevlar arm chaps and chaps when you are limbing it out.

My naive customers will pay more for oak than Osage or Mulberry. I don't burn myself but understand where you are coming from. I tell my customers but they don't seem to trust me that it's better wood.

My naive customers will pay more for oak than Osage or Mulberry. I don't burn myself but understand where you are coming from. I tell my customers but they don't seem to trust me that it's better wood.

Just show them the btu rating. ;o)

People who have never burned hedge before should know that it can throw some serious sparks when you open the stove door.

Bet the guy who delivered it didn't know what he had. :D
:)

The friend who brought it did not know what he had, or cared.

He cleans up foreclosed houses up for banks and the banks consider wood as refuse and it needs to get off the property.

He's happy to have a place to bring it

I'm surprised it grows that far north. It's been propagated all over the country, but a lot of it never survived. We really like hedge. Don't burn it without adding some softwood to temper it a bit. It burns really hot. Good score at any rate.

Theres a good bit of it in south eastern PA.

I had an order a month or so back, and even though he asked for all oak, I threw about 4 pieces of hedge on top. I told him, "hey I have a lot of hedge I would sell for a little extra." Well he did not want it, and he eyballed every piece to come out of the truck to make sure it was oak. (it was) I am pretty sure that gesture lost him as a repeat customer, I just know he will not be calling again. And I always deliver 10 to 15 percent more than the customer orders. So I have huge piles of hedge that I burn in my house. My wife asked me the other day if I can get more for next year, my reply, "yep".

Dan

I had an order a month or so back, and even though he asked for all oak, I threw about 4 pieces of hedge on top. I told him, "hey I have a lot of hedge I would sell for a little extra." Well he did not want it, and he eyballed every piece to come out of the truck to make sure it was oak. (it was) I am pretty sure that gesture lost him as a repeat customer, I just know he will not be calling again. And I always deliver 10 to 15 percent more than the customer orders. So I have huge piles of hedge that I burn in my house. My wife asked me the other day if I can get more for next year, my reply, "yep".

Dan

Some people are scared to burn it. A little bit makes a lot of heat.

So I don't want to fill my furnace with it before I head to bed?

That would depend on your equipment. We have a 24 year old Vermont Castings airtight stove. We feed it a couple 4x4x16 splits and a couple sticks of silver maple before bedtime. It's still pretty hot, with a nice bed of coals, in the morning.

Latest posts

Back