just an idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spreaderman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
has any one considered putting a level bubble on there saw.... one to keep the bar flat and the other to keep it horizonal when cutting trees ...I realize standard bubbles will not work because of vibration but maybe with a little heavier liquid and a ball in there instead of a bubble ....... I thought put them on the chain brake release for easy viewing ....... They would help when cutting notches and help with back cuts too, what do ya'll think, like I said its just an idea:)

After you cut for so long you can get it right every time. Just takes experience. I am getting pretty good but could be better...

I could care less if my notch is level. I'm more concerned with which way it's aiming.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
I could care less if my notch is level. I'm more concerned with which way it's aiming.

LOL makes a difference if it is and isn't :D

I have thought about that for a long time, its a wonder they have'nt come up with something by now, hardwood is pretty foolproof, straight cut most everytime, pine, or softwood is different, get alot more bar play it does take practice, flat butts, straight bucks thats a timbercutters goal, and alot of wood on the ground.

Hey careful guys, this may be a dangerous option to add to the saw. The operator will be distracted with keeping their eye on the bubble in order to keep the saw level versus, concentrating on the saw cutting.
With lots of practice, a user will master cutting level.

Thats an interesting suggestion. In actuality Huskies have sight marks molded into the top covers-but I worked for so long with just the feel of the saw and the old peepers that I never think to use the aid!

I just repair the dang things, I don't use 'em. But I do believe Toneman is right. You experienced cutters would just ignore the bubble and inexperienced cutters who should be paying attention to what they're doing would be tranced on the dern bubble.

A while ago Fine Home Building magazine had an article about a study that tested how accuratly people could judge level and plumb with a bare eye. The study found that our eye and inner sense could do a pretty accurate job. They had the stats that showed how close to level/plumb the eye could judge and it was close enough to almost not need a level.

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
A while ago Fine Home Building magazine had an article about a study that tested how accuratly people could judge level and plumb with a bare eye. The study found that our eye and inner sense could do a pretty accurate job. They had the stats that showed how close to level/plumb the eye could judge and it was close enough to almost not need a level.

Tom, you're right in most situations. People are also pretty good at finding the middle of things unaided - to fractions of an inch. We can be fooled, though. If you dig in a fence post or gate post on a hillside and set it plumb with a spirit level, it won't look plumb when you stand back and take a look. It will look like it's leaning towards the bottom of the hill, even though it is straight. If you put the post in with a 5 degree lean up the hill, it looks a lot better.

Better stop now, cos I'm straying off topic...

as a guide

I have placed a small torpedo level, one with a magnet on my bar just to start the cut to use as a guide on bigger cuts and remove it just after the bar enters the cut..... I think levels would be a good idea if used as a guide and not a television.... use the levels to set the cut then watch the cut as normal ..... yes experience is a good teacher but a guide is also nice to have:)

just always make sure it falls where you want it to - level it off later if it matters...:cool:

if your inclined to get precise about it, the big huskys do have the felling marks that are very clear and easy to use.

felling marks

ALL saws have a line set 90 degrees with the bar....to help with the direction when notching and backcutting I didn't know what the mark was for a long time , but used right it does help the level would help in some conditions, sometimes it don't matter I agree, but when you start to cut in and back off to see if it is level then cut in again straighter it would help to guide you in right the first time on a tree that needs to go just right ....

Re: felling marks

Originally posted by spreaderman
ALL saws have a line set 90 degrees with the bar....to help with the direction when notching and backcutting I didn't know what the mark was for a long time , but used right it does help the level would help in some conditions, sometimes it don't matter I agree, but when you start to cut in and back off to see if it is level then cut in again straighter it would help to guide you in right the first time on a tree that needs to go just right ....

Felling sights?

Latest posts

Back