Just bought my first chipper..have questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPC Pilot

Reaction score
Howdy Y'all!

I've been looking over this website and haven't seen too many posts from folks down here in Texas, so I figured I'd start out with a nice traditional southern greeting!!
My name is Mike and I own a small ranch of about 60 acres. Most of it is sectioned off as pasture for crops and grazing cattle, but there's still approximately 10-15 acres of thick sapling trees with a dry creek bed running through it. Most of the trees are between 4"-6" inches in diameter. I want to make use of this land by cutting "nature trails" for walking and ATV riding.
Over the past few months I have purchased a Husqvarna Rancher 55 chainsaw and the largest Stihl brushcutter/weed eater that the dealer sold ( I forget the model). I had been saving up for a new DR Chipper, but came across a used Vermeer BC620.
The hourmeter on the 620 reads 330 hours.
It appears to be in good condition with normal wear.
I paid $2400, so I figured it was a much better deal than the $3400 cost of a new DR Chipper.
Questions:
1.) Does anyone here have any experience with using the BC620?
2.) Any suggestions or tips for using/maintaining this machine?
I have ordered the manuals and they should be in sometime this week. I did try and run a hardwood log (Bois d'arc tree I think) through it using the slowest feed setting. The roller that pulls in the wood did not have enough power to pull it in using this setting. I then switched it to either the medium or high setting and it pulled it in with ease. The problem was that this higher speed bogged down the 20 hp Koler engine.
Next question:
3.) Do you think this may be to due to dull blades?
4.) If so, where is the best place to purchase them as well as other parts for maintenance?

Sorry to be so "long winded". This is my first post to this group and I have so many questions.
Thanks everyone!!
Mike

Chippers

Key to any and all chippers, Knifes and anvils.
A sharp knife is only as good as the anvil you are cutting against.
good anvil adjustment will save you machine and save you fuel.

Get a good knife and ensure it is fitted correctly to the flywheel(chipper Disc)
clean all debris from knife area with a wire brush before fitting.

Put a good edge on the anvil or replace it, don't be tempted to buy cheap anvils, use the manufacters original part.

Adjust the anvil to each knife in turn making sure of a good even contact area then back if alittle and the turn disc byhand, check for contact if so back of alittle. tighten anvil and the check by hand once more. ;)

your chipper will now chip to full capacity.

Buy a knife saver from Carlton and put the edge back on your knifes, once aday if using the chipper daily. This will maintain a good edge for good chipping but is not a substitute for knife maintaince.

Hope this helps.

Good choice on getting the used Vermeer instead of the DR. Even if you only use it for a year or two, you can get most of your capital back when you re-sell it.

As with most small 6" chippers, I've found that you have to have a high feed wheel speed setting to chip any bushy or large material. When it's set slow, the feed wheel(s) just grind away on brush or log. You can start it in slow, but once it's started to feed in, you'll want to speed it up by adjusting the feed speed... but it's usually just easier to control it with the feed bar, stopping and starting.

I agree with Liston, knife sharpness and tolerance are the most important parts to maintain. Just looking at the quality of the chips can tell you a lot about the blades (are they chunked looking or clean cut chips with nice edges?).

One last thing, try to chip the material when it's green. Dried out stuff is harder on everything in your machine, especially the knives.

You'll be glad you didn't buy the DR. I used one years ago before I was in business. It really is overpriced yuppy crap.

Hello PPC Welcome from the brits.
We used nothing but 620's for years, as a starter chipper their excelent.
couple of tips we picked up, always use the joined drive belt - not 2 singles, and keep it tight, put an oil cooler in the return curcuit, as the resovior is small and gets hot, make sure your bypass valve has a new spring in it (or pack it out with washers - NOT)
and as Liston says, keep that shear bar sharp and square!
the later models had 4 springs on the infeed wheel, the earlier ones had 2 - if yours has 2, put another 2 on it, as it stops the feed wheel slipping...
hope its got the little wheels as the taller ones have a habit of falling over :p

PPC Pilot said:
The hourmeter on the 620 reads 330 hours.
It appears to be in good condition with normal wear.
I paid $2400, so I figured it was a much better deal than the $3400 cost of a new DR Chipper.

I just cannot believe these prices.

Over here that used chipper would still fetch $15,000 and a new one is $25,000 ... Australian dollars that is, which is about a quarter less than US.

PPC, Welcome and congratulations on your new chipper. Even for over here Youu got a steal on that 620-I've been watching chipper prices on the used equip forums for a couple of years and a relatively low hours 620 is more of a $5000 machine than a $2400 one. -Again Congratulations! Dead BoisD'Arc (Osage Orange) Is just about THE hardest to chip wood you will ever encounter. Green it will chip fairly easily but will still try to eat you alive. :angel:

PPC Pilot said:
there's still approximately 10-15 acres of thick sapling trees with a dry creek bed running through it. Most of the trees are between 4"-6" inches in diameter. I want to make use of this land by cutting "nature trails" for walking and ATV riding.

I did try and run a hardwood log (Bois d'arc tree I think) through it using the slowest feed setting. The roller that pulls in the wood did not have enough power to pull it in using this setting. I then switched it to either the medium or high setting and it pulled it in with ease. The problem was that this higher speed bogged down the 20 hp Koler engine.

.......Do you think this may be to due to dull blades?

Congratulations on a great deal on a good chipper, however, IMHO, a steady diet of 4 to 6 inch hardwood requires a 12 to 15 inch capacity chipper. Even a 9 incher will struggle with that load. You will kill that little chipper chipping that much hardwood at its maximum capacity. It will also be real slow.

Latest posts

Back