just bought used vermeer sc252 ,have questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hour meter shows 1370 don't know if it works, the engine was replaced a couple years ago, the guy figured it has about 50 hrs on it . Kohler 25 hp. Everything seems good except a pillow block on the cutting head. Pretty much wiped out. Do I need to worry about the shaft being messed up. Also what size is the pillow block? Can I get it at northern or something? This is my first grinder. I know nothing!!

Also do you recommend calling diggers hot line to mark underground power lines or just on big stumps or never?

The shaft (both, cutter-wheel and jackshaft) can be messed up quick, it's expensive and annoying.

Change the bearings immediately. You need UCP208-24.
Don't overgrease them.

Change the engine oil, if not done the last couple hours.

Get dual wheels if working often on slopes or (too) big stumps.

Read the posts and threads from plyscamp and stumper63, they know it all.

Enjoy

The shaft (both, cutter-wheel and jackshaft) can be messed up quick, it's expensive and annoying.

Change the bearings immediately. You need UCP208-24.
Don't overgrease them.

Change the engine oil, if not done the last couple hours.

Get dual wheels if working often on slopes or (too) big stumps.

Read the posts and threads from plyscamp and stumper63, they know it all.

Enjoy
It has the dual wheels. I did read back in the archives a bit. Found some good info.

How do you get the pulley off to change the bearing. I took the 3 bolts out and the set screw and it won't budge. Is there something else?1398696744791.jpg

Those other three holes there, they are threaded. Get three grade 8 bolts, same size as the ones that hold it in place, and drive them in. Drive them up to the pulley and then, 1/4 turn at a time rotating around, drive the pulley back. Its a good idea to let everything soak in penetrating oil first.
If you'r having this much trouble right off the bat you might want to take it to someone who know something. This is pretty basic stuff.
Read over some older posts. There are all sorts of questions and answers you will find useful.

Those other three holes there, they are threaded. Get three grade 8 bolts, same size as the ones that hold it in place, and drive them in. Drive them up to the pulley and then, 1/4 turn at a time rotating around, drive the pulley back. Its a good idea to let everything soak in penetrating oil first.
If you'r having this much trouble right off the bat you might want to take it to someone who know something. This is pretty basic stuff.
Read over some older posts. There are all sorts of questions and answers you will find useful.
I got the whole wheel assembly off and took it in. I will have them remove pulley, and replace both bearings .

I even tried a puller and it didn't budge. I think it will need some heat. And I don't have a torch. Yeah it's basic till its rusted tight. I thought this would take me an hour tops. The adjuster to loosen the belt was tight also, I ended up snapping it.

I even tried a puller and it didn't budge. I think it will need some heat. And I don't have a torch. Yeah it's basic till its rusted tight. I thought this would take me an hour tops. The adjuster to loosen the belt was tight also, I ended up snapping it.

Instead of a UCP-208-24 USE a UCPE-208-24 same bearing much heavier housing.
I found some at a place by me they only say p- 208 on the housing and the bearing is sold separately is this sufficient? They would be $35 total a piece.

Just got my cutting head assembly back. $213 to remove pulley and bearings and replace bearings. Still wondering about the hydraulic oil. Without knowing what's in there now, if I put the hlp 46 in it. I shouldn't have any compatibility issues, will I? Is this oil readily available at the big box stores?

Also they folded over the ridge on the pulley some how, I guess I will just straighten that out the best I can and hope it's ok.20140430_180824.jpg

You got a different pulley than the original one. Your polychain won't slip. But may cost more.

Oils are mixable, except of bio grade oil.
46 is very cheap and available everywhere.
Very likely it's in there.

You got a different pulley than the original one. Your polychain won't slip. But may cost more.

Oils are mixable, except of bio grade oil.
46 is very cheap and available everywhere.
Very likely it's in there.

I got the 46 oil and added it. Cut three stumps today and everything worked fine. How deep do you typically go? I went about 6-8 inches. It has a little vibration to it. Is this normal. None of the bearings were even Luke warm after cutting.

Also I have a question about the greenteeth on this. They are the size of a quarter. Is this the size that is suppose to be on this? And some of the pockets are angled out and some are straight. Is this normal? Thanks for the help

Back