Just got a Stihl Pole Saw HT 75

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawsnall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a well used HT 75. Has low compression about 75 PSI. Still runs and cuts good.

Like to know what maintenance is important to do here. Does anything in the shafts need greased? Do the bearings in there need replaced? I see a couple MM of play a the end of the output shaft where you pull the cutter heads off.

There's a little play where the thick boom shaft meets the 17" shaft coming off the engine. Is that something that needs attention asap? Like to keep this pole saw going for a couple years if possible. Planning on looking around for a cylinder and piston/rings. Any feedback about maintenance and parts is appreciated. Love the saw. Gonna use it mostly for trimming very tall bushes with a hedge trimmer attachment.

I have an FS-75 that I put a pruner head on to turn it into an HT-75. I really like my "chainsaw on a stick". Any of the FS-75, 80, or 85 powerhead parts should work on yours. Post up some pics and we'll try to help you out with any issues you're having.
BTW, the rear handle of a BG-75 blower fits nicely on the back side of the powerhead for extra leverage. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow to show you what I'm talking about.

Just realized my FS 85 trimmer engine is the exact same as on the pole saw. Gonna do a power head swap soon. :rock: No more cracked and ugly engine cover and clapped out engine. Gonna be all purty.

I snapped these over my lunch hour. It's a Frankensaw but it works great for what I do.
View attachment 241331View attachment 241332View attachment 241333
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I put a new carb for a FS-80 with HIGH and LOW adjustments on my HT-75 pole saw. It bolts right on and the throttle hooks up the same. It runs great and idles great too. Very nice tool.

Love that saw Eiklj, things clean and a lot lighter, too. That rear handle looks handy. Got a couple bush trims in with my HT75, damn, thing wears you out fast. Gonna get some new muscles.

Love that saw Eiklj, things clean and a lot lighter, too. That rear handle looks handy. Got a couple bush trims in with my HT75, damn, thing wears you out fast. Gonna get some new muscles.

Thanks. It's perfect for my needs. I'm too out-of-shape to use an HT101 or HT131 for long.

I have an FC75 edger too. I put a shoulder strap on it to make it easier and faster for me to use.
I like that Stihl used the same powerheads in the 72, 74, & 76 line of products as well as the 75, 80,& 85 stuff too. It makes repair/replacement cheaper and easier.
I actually like the older vintage Stihl over today's stuff. Nothing wrong with their current products though. I just think the older stuff is more gooder.

I just put a HT75 back into service today with new fuel lines and carb kit. It is a ver ynice running unit.

I did the work for our local REC. It has been shelved for the last 5 years as they though it was junked and in talking to my neighbor the forman he asked if I could get it back going:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Morgaj, have you done a compression test since installing the new rings?

What is considered good compression with these units? The HT75 I did carb and fuel lines on got to 120 and my FS76 went to 120 as well and both run well

Old thread but my favourite stihl tool is a fs 120 with ht 75 pruner/gear head running a 14 inch bar.
definately better on the back than a chainsaw for those low to the ground jobs

Old thread but my favourite stihl tool is a fs 120 with ht 75 pruner/gear head running a 14 inch bar.
definately better on the back than a chainsaw for those low to the ground jobs
They actually make those. It is called an HT250.

They were not available for a while, but now back. We have had a customer or two buy those to get new 4134 (FS250) power heads. Then they sell off the chainsaw end, and end up with a new engine on their FS250 on the cheap. The FS 240 (IMO) is a better engine, but nobody wants the weight. Thankfully, the HT series has not been "240ized".

Back