Just got my mill today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradmax

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. I’m sorry for how long this is but I really need help here. I just received my mill today and tried it out on my first ever log. I got to say I love this thing. But I’m having a bit of trouble setting up for my first cut and I’ve searched a lot trying to find the info. I just can’t find it. How does everyone set up on tapered logs for they’re first cut. I had a lot of waste today on my first cut. I’m only guessing here because I didn’t measure the ends of the log but I’d say the butt was about 16” while the tapered end was 10”. I measured from the Center on the tapered end and got a distance of 5”. So I measure from the Center of the butt up 5” and made a mark. I then measured down 1” on the taper and made another mark to attach my end board for my rails, and I done the same on the butt end from the 5” mark. But when my first cut was complete I was way under my mark in the tapered end. Can someone please explain to me a better way to set this up for logs with this much difference end to end. I was thinking a Center out measurement would set me up nicely, but unfortunately it didn’t go as planned. Should I cut from the tapered end first? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Hi guys and gals. I’m sorry for how long this is but I really need help here. I just received my mill today and tried it out on my first ever log. I got to say I love this thing. But I’m having a bit of trouble setting up for my first cut and I’ve searched a lot trying to find the info. I just can’t find it. How does everyone set up on tapered logs for they’re first cut. I had a lot of waste today on my first cut. I’m only guessing here because I didn’t measure the ends of the log but I’d say the butt was about 16” while the tapered end was 10”. I measured from the Center on the tapered end and got a distance of 5”. So I measure from the Center of the butt up 5” and made a mark. I then measured down 1” on the taper and made another mark to attach my end board for my rails, and I done the same on the butt end from the 5” mark. But when my first cut was complete I was way under my mark in the tapered end. Can someone please explain to me a better way to set this up for logs with this much difference end to end. I was thinking a Center out measurement would set me up nicely, but unfortunately it didn’t go as planned. Should I cut from the tapered end first? Thank you all in advance for your help.
I’d go to YouTube and watch as much about milling as you could. There’s a wealth of info there, so wade through it and figure out what works best in any given situation, it’s a learning curve.

My aim in my measuring was to take an inch off the tapered end. But I ended up with way more. That’s the method I used. Measured from the Center out. I have been watching YouTube videos for about a month and the best one I can find for set up like this is with a log that has 1/4 inch difference butt to taper.

Yes I did. I had to because I’m still waiting on the chainsaw I purchased specifically for milling to arrive. I was only testing it out with my smaller saw and the butt of the log wouldn’t fit inside my mill. So I had to remove some of the flare on the butt. I have been watching more videos again all morning but all I can find are huge logs with very little taper where they show setup if they’re rails. I’m about to go try it out again. When I get my rails set up I will check the depth of my mill at both ends and adjust accordingly. Just seems like the most logical way to do this. Maybe when I get it worked out I’ll make a video so new people like me can see how I done it.

For logs that are heavily tapered , to support the end of my large log rails at the tapered end I use a jig at the smaller end which is a part of my small milling rig.
IMG_5679trial.jpg

The rig consist of of two galv C- Channel verticals. and the a piece of angle (green angle) that holds the two verticals together
The Black angle is part of the log rains
DSC00157.jpg
Here is a close up - the green jig is Tek screwed to the end of the log and the galv log rails just sit on top of the the green angle.
DSC00158s.jpg

One issue is getting the mill off the rails at the far end - instead I do it at the start.
What I do is remove the cut piece, whereby the rails at the start of the cut fall down onto cut log
Then I raise the rails back the start using a length of wood (thicker than the cut piece) across the rails and have a second similar length on standby.
Pull the mill back up to the first length. Insert second length behind the mill and remove first length and pull the mill out.

Wow what a setup. I found my problem. My son help me fabricate my tails for testing. I used 2x6 and a piece of plywood attached at both ends to attach them to the log. I set my end at 8.5 inches from the top of the 2x6 to the bottom of the plywood. His end was at 7.5 inches. I should have double checked it I guess. He’s only 13 and wanted to help me so I let him. My problem is solved though and him and I are wiser for it. Thank you all for the help.

Latest posts

Back