Just Hot Rodded my Mac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButcherGY54

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a little McCulloch MAC 3516 that will just not quit. I bought this saw off a co-worker and it is a great little saw. I use it for limbing and for small firewood chores.

Well the other week I was bored so I took the Mac down into the basement and went to work. Tore it all down, cleaned it up and began to port and polish the ports and the lower crankcase housing. I opened the intake up to the point that when the piston is at TDC, the port is even with the skirt. I then lowered the port about .010" and also ever so slightly widened it. I also polished the intake but not to a mirror finish. The exhaust I widened and lowered so that when the piston is at BDC it is even with the piston top. I then mirror polished the exhaust port. The muffler has been modded for a while so there was no need to do more to it.

Then came the crankcase. It had a lot of casting marks in it. I know some will say they are needed to keep turbulence in the crankcase, but I do not. I polished the it smooth but not mirror finish. The transfers got a light filing and polish. I did not open them up or raise them. The top of the cylinder also received a polishing job to almost mirror finish.

There was no gasket between the jug and case when I took it apart. Just gasket maker sealant, so I did the same. I then noticed that the screw holding the butter fly to the carburetor shaft was sticking into the airway a lot. I filed the threaded part down even with the shaft, and filed the head down a little also. I put it all back together with the coil in the same spots as when I took it apart. The coil has slotted mounting holes to adjust the timing.

Let me tell you something. This little monster really rips now! I can bury this thing and it just keeps cutting. The only way I can get it to bog down is if I really lean on it. I do not believe how much of a difference this has made. I can not wait to tear into my 025 and see what I can play with.

David

hot saw?

now is that a race saw or a woods saw??????:greenchainsaw:

sounds like a wild thing showdown:greenchainsaw:

can't wait for a vid, that would be interesting!!!:cheers:

I would say it's a woods saw. I was just playing around and created a monster. I don't have a video camera yet. I'm more of a still photo kind of guy.

David

got one!

I got one, maybe this little thing is a diamond in the rough! Could use a good hop up,:monkey: maybe a tuner?

I had a poulan 2750 apart a couple of months ago and did a little port cleaning and you can sure tell the difference in those !
not a full on race mod either, lol

Glad to see others have fun rodding POS saws. Losts cheaper to learn on 25 cent saws than $300 Stihl or Husky jugs aint it? I did the Gypo Logger 1MM off the skirt and 1MM off the exhaust port treatment to out 1838 Mac and it really ripped too, for about long enogh to get the carb reset and it flug the flywheel, split it right throughthe keyway, good thing for that safety plastic housing:greenchainsaw: Im thinken your POS MAc uses the same wheel so be carefull. I did order a used one from Ebay and will install and retest, if it flings another Ill be posting a warning. Otherwise I might put it up agaist that WisenSimoner saw up at Ashland this weekend.

Butch(OH) I'll keep an eye on the flywheel. Thanks for the warning.

Yes, it is much cheaper to experiment on this saw than the others.

Grease monkey. Start shining that diamond.

David

productive

why not do this on something; well; more attractive like a pro mac 125 or stihl 090:jawdrop: glad you had fun

I have been playing with a 33cc homelite that someone left at my mailbox. Funny how people who know a guy who knows a guy will just leave stuff by in case you want it. I would say at this point it is a "mildly modified" woods saw on its way to being a race saw, or one helluva gas powered blender. I may just keep trying one thing after another until it says enough and blows up. At least I will have the edumacation of seeing whats going on with all these in depth mods everyone else does on their expensive equipment.

Oh yeah, the fuel lines were hardened and leaking on it. Swiched em out, put gas in. cleaned the plug, and it fired and ran on the 3rd pull.

Latest posts

Back