Just how many of one model is enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was looking through some of my saws and put a few of the 056's in the same place. I noticed this one in particular. It came to me this way but the #66 does make me wonder how many they had.Stihl 056 #66.JPG

Very true, but just how many is enough of one model,,..........
Well, at least one of the early versions before any significant updates after the first release, any significant updates versions, brand new in box, of first version, along with several good condition, and some average for parts etc of each required version.

Does that clarify the mental illness, er requirements of numbers :)

I’ve got a couple duplicates. Ifn they’re old enough to be very affordable. 272. Ever body ought have a pair. 55. Yeah need a couple.
026 you prolly oughta. 346. Well I’m over that stage. They perty good.

My ex wife never could see past the fact that they were all just saws. She was a very practical person

I use to invite neighbors wives to come help cut firewood all the time, or at least load the logs into the trailer. They aren't interested in doing the labor of keeping a house warm. Better to stand back and criticize, and plot more shoe purchases.

I use to invite neighbors wives to come help cut firewood all the time

I have one neighbor who's wife I would love to invite over but not to cut firewood. Shoot why did I say that he is a member here:) Ooooh I am safe actually I have a couple neighbors that are members and I would not invite their wives over. None of them know which one I am talking about now so it is all good.

Depends on your needs. If your running a tree service you may have a lot of the same saws
True but when you get to where you have to use #66 on one model you are either a VERY big operation or you are so tough on saws you could break an anvil and replace them way too often

One is fun, two are enough, three is excessive and a dozen getting ridiculous. :laugh:

The #66 may have nothing to do with the fact there might be 65 other 056's in the same crew.
Could be every piece of equipment for that particular operation is inventoried, numbered and recorded.
The cutter using that saw might have had a fallers belt numbered #211, an axe numbered #35 and helmet numbered #007 for all we know.

What! One is fun, two are enough, three is excessive, and a dozen is getting ridiculous. I resemble that remark I'll have you know. You have to have no less than four. One top handle for climbing, one gas pole saw, one bucking, felling saw, and one vintage saw that runs that still runs it's heart out to still please you.

What! One is fun, two are enough, three is excessive, and a dozen is getting ridiculous. I resemble that remark I'll have you know. You have to have no less than four. One top handle for climbing, one gas pole saw, one bucking, felling saw, and one vintage saw that runs that still runs it's heart out to still please you.

The title of the thread is how many of ONE model- not how many saws.

2 or 3 saw plan. Pick appropriately and you needn't think about buying another saw for 10+ years.
I just use 1 saw at a time until each one wears out. But I am not a pro. We have a tree farm and I do TSI, plus cut about 6 cords of firewood per year. So far, I have owned a small Echo, some kind of Remington (maybe 50 cc?), a Stihl 038 Super, Stihl MS441C and my current saw, the MS 500i. Some think the 500i is too big for firewood, but it is lighter than the 441C and it cuts faster, so it is less fatiguing to use. I do mull over getting an electric saw from time to time, to carry on my tractor when clearing tails in the woods. Usually this means just cutting fallen trees enough to get them out of the way. An electric saw with an 18" bar would probably do OK at that.

I just use 1 saw at a time until each one wears out. But I am not a pro. We have a tree farm and I do TSI, plus cut about 6 cords of firewood per year. So far, I have owned a small Echo, some kind of Remington (maybe 50 cc?), a Stihl 038 Super, Stihl MS441C and my current saw, the MS 500i. Some think the 500i is too big for firewood, but it is lighter than the 441C and it cuts faster, so it is less fatiguing to use. I do mull over getting an electric saw from time to time, to carry on my tractor when clearing tails in the woods. Usually this means just cutting fallen trees enough to get them out of the way. An electric saw with an 18" bar would probably do OK at that.

A 500i and a 261 is about the perfect 2 saw plan. The 500i is a great firewood saw, and the 261 is about perfect for trimming and bucking of smaller diameter trees. The other important reason of having 2 saws is one to cut the other free from being pinched. One can always remove the Powerhead from the bar and mount a new bar, but the backup saw is so so much easier and convenient.

A 500i and a 261 is about the perfect 2 saw plan. The 500i is a great firewood saw, and the 261 is about perfect for trimming and bucking of smaller diameter trees. The other important reason of having 2 saws is one to cut the other free from being pinched. One can always remove the Powerhead from the bar and mount a new bar, but the backup saw is so so much easier and convenient.
I have several bars, so my current backup plan is to remove the powerhead. I would do that anyway in most cases if I got the saw stuck. I once used a second saw to try to free up the first and the tree hit the saw on the way down and broke the handle off. It could easily have broken the casing, but I got lucky.

The only duplicate saws I have are my 2 old 044s. That being said, I have 4 saws that fall in or close to that 70cc category. Besides the 044s, I have a ms400 and a 372xp.

The 044s are ported big bores w/muffler mods, the 372 is ported and mm'ed, and the 400 is just mm'ed, so that's my excuse why they aren't redundant to each other lol.

Latest posts

Back