Just lookin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgreenman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, im looking for a maul to split what my fiskars x27 won't. I want to spend under $200.00 but under $150.00 would be nice and under $100.00 would be great!!! View attachment 274056
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? Or any others?

I look over a log before bucking it up for anything you know is going to be real bad. I then reference all cuts from the bad crotches, and leave them laying in the woods.

If the X27 won't split it, it is more hassle than a piece of wood is worth.:clap:

Sounds as if your leaving some of the best wood in the woods...

Those big knots and crouches are great for over nighters...

several metal wedges and a good sledge hammer! i done for years...:smile2:

I look over a log before bucking it up for anything you know is going to be real bad. I then reference all cuts from the bad crotches, and leave them laying in the woods.

If the X27 won't split it, it is more hassle than a piece of wood is worth.:clap:

Now I love my x27 but if I left wood that I couldn't split I would have to cut down 4 times more trees and work a lot harder! I have yet to find a piece of wood that my H35T (Huskee 35 ton) wouldn't split!

If an X27 wont split a maul wont be that much better. Sledge and wedge or noodle.

Sounds as if your leaving some of the best wood in the woods...

Those big knots and crouches are great for over nighters...

Well then, you boys are welcome to anything I leave in the woods.:laugh:

My exact thoughts, crotches and knots mean dense wood. Aka More BTU

The point of this thread is SPLITTING, if it isn't split, it doesn't dry.

Now I love my x27 but if I left wood that I couldn't split I would have to cut down 4 times more trees and work a lot harder! I have yet to find a piece of wood that my H35T (Huskee 35 ton) wouldn't split!

Well I haven't found a single piece of wood that my non exhistant hydraulic splitter will split.:msp_smile:

Send those pieces left in the woods to me here in Baraboo, I'll split them for you and send'm right back. :msp_wink:

Not really- Stihl doesn't make mauls. Why bother when they can have Ochsenkopf label one for them?
Last I saw, their prices were good, around $80. Who'd a thunk that for Stihl- good pricing?

Those mauls are an order of magnitude or more better than Fiskars junk. Really.

As are mauls made by Wetterlings, Gransfors, Mueller and possibly other serious forges. Not cheap junk.

Some folks think "maul" means cheapie blunt instrument of self-torture on a stick. Not necessarily so.

Not really- Stihl doesn't make mauls. Why bother when they can have Ochsenkopf label one for them?
Last I saw, their prices were good, around $80. Who'd a thunk that for Stihl- good pricing?

Those mauls are an order of magnitude or more better than Fiskars junk. Really.

As are mauls made by Wetterlings, Gransfors, Mueller and possibly other serious forges. Not cheap junk.

Some folks think "maul" means cheapie blunt instrument of self-torture on a stick. Not necessarily so.

Until I saw it here, didnt know there was a stihl splitting axe. Local dealer does not have them on the showfloor. And I think IIRC only one white handle model pro saw, the rest are homefarmranch models.

Of course I have never seen any of the other high end axes either. I am sure there are some outlets have them on the floor, just never seen one.

I have also never ever seen anyplace that would actually have some way for you to try out an axe or maul before purchase...

ha, this is funny..local tractor supply was selling fiskars finally, then just the other regular cheapo dull heavy mauls. Then they discontinued fiskars..my theory is, they only want to offer the cheap mauls..so they sell more gas engine splitters! (and also replacement wooden handles for the other models)

Guy gets heavy dull anvil on a stick, half a cord later at home goes &*&^$$ this (**&^, Im buying me a splitter!!!

hehehehe thats my theory and stickin to it!

Until I saw it here, didnt know there was a stihl splitting axe. Local dealer does not have them on the showfloor. And I think IIRC only one white handle model pro saw, the rest are homefarmranch models.

That's too bad, The stihl dealer closest to me has most of the stihl made and labeled stuff they carry, even the 880. At one time they had the mauls and axes on display. I've never seen any of the other high end mauls though except in pic form. I prefer other saws over stihl, but find that most of the accessory stuff(chain, files, etc.) are what I do prefer. Love the promark chaps.

Last edited:
The Truth

That's too bad, The stihl dealer closest to me has most of the stihl made and labeled stuff they carry, even the 880. At one time they had the mauls and axes on display. I've never seen any of the other high end mauls though except in pic form. I prefer other saws over stihl, but ind that most of the accessory stuff(chain, files, etc.) are what I do prefer. Love the promark chaps.

I am the same way I would never buy a brand new saw from Stihl (as of now). I find them to be very clunky and awkward to use. Also a little slow in the cut and yet they are the bigger $$$$ brand out of Husqvarna and Echo. My favorite saw to hold is the Echo CS500P that thing is awesome to work with I dont like any other echos. My Husqvarna 550xp is not as nice to hold but shes a worker. But I love Stihl PPE, chains, and bars.

Latest posts

Back