Just Released: Estwing Premium Work Gloves!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm always looking for a nice work glove that involves processing firewood. I just got my hands on the new Estwing Premium work gloves that were just released in January. Check out my video if you would like to find out more. Thanks!

Let us know in a month how these hold up. For some reason every single pair of gloves I've used for firewood always end up splitting open at the tip of my middle finger on the right hand. I've tried the discount gloves from the bargain bin and the leather mechanix ones plus most stuff in between. I even used a old pair of firefighting gloves that got replaced and those died too.

Let us know in a month how these hold up. For some reason every single pair of gloves I've used for firewood always end up splitting open at the tip of my middle finger on the right hand. I've tried the discount gloves from the bargain bin and the leather mechanix ones plus most stuff in between. I even used a old pair of firefighting gloves that got replaced and those died too.
Will do! My favorite gloves for chainsaw use and splitting wood have been the Husqvarna ones sold at Lowes. They don't seem to carry them anymore. I had the same problem, where I would get a hole in the finger tip.
The Estwing gloves look like they have more reinforcement there, so we'll see.

I like wearing leather gloves handling firewood start to finish. Never been a tough calloused guy.

Figure if it works for smoke chasers... I probs won't find a better bang for my buck.

Nothing else I try lasts more then a day or so.

Well if I can’t trash the best pair of gloves in a week !! Oddly enough the best pair of glove for my fit and overall durability was a 5$ pair from HF . They had a GoJo logo . Wish I could find more of those .

For durability, the Stihl leather gloves have been the best I've had. They really take a beating.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Best pair of gloves are called calluses...unless you're dealing with the cold. Haha.

Have you ever had a thorn getting stuck under a callus? I can assureyou it's not pleasant to remove. :laugh:

I am really interested in this as well. So far the only work gloves I've found to be fully satisfactory are Honeywell Vertigo but they don't make Winter versions of them so when it's cold it's down to the usual cheap ones lasting a few weeks before coming apart to the seams. They last longer and keep warmer than all expensive ones I've found so far, go figure...

I got mig welding gloves that are kevlar stiched black stallion brand they last well.never had a loose thread
I have a pair of Lincoln Electric gloves that I use when I go out to grab a couple days worth of firewood and bring it around in with the jet sled. I finally wore a hole in the finger tip that I noticed while rearranging the burning logs in the wood stove.

I like the way Mechanix gloves fit my hands, but for the most part I dislike those style of gloves. I bought the 4X ones and they did the same as most peoples, they split at the seams. As far as lasting four times longer than regular leather, I doubt that as I did wear through that material, but not before the seams gave up.

My go to's are pretty much the same, if I'm splitting it's leather kinco's, insulated or not. I used to like the deer hide ones but now use the cow hides as the seem a little tougher. I still like the Ansell Hyflex 801's for most everything else, but recently bought some cotton/nitrile dipped gloves from our local Airgas that are orange and white, and were only $1 a pair, bought ten of them. I'll have to look at the package later but they're holding up better than the Ansell's so far, and the orange is pretty close to the saws and once the white cotton gets a little dirty, well, you know where I'm going with this.

No thanks.

Atlas gloves for $25/dozen on Amazon are the way for me. Comfortable, cool, great grip, durable... Nothing else is worth the money IMO. I have tried a lot of different gloves (not Estwing) from $5-30/pair and none of them last when doing firewood. Synthetic, deer skin, goat skin, buffalo....they all suck for durability. Some leather is better but not worth what you pay.

As other's have said, my issue has never been the material, it's always splitting at the seams. Frustrating for me as I have soft and girly hands for some reason so gloves are important

Have you ever had a thorn getting stuck under a callus? I can assureyou it's not pleasant to remove. :laugh:

I am really interested in this as well. So far the only work gloves I've found to be fully satisfactory are Honeywell Vertigo but they don't make Winter versions of them so when it's cold it's down to the usual cheap ones lasting a few weeks before coming apart to the seams. They last longer and keep warmer than all expensive ones I've found so far, go figure...
Can't recall if I've had one under a callous but I've had plenty stuck in my skin here and there. I also go in the woods wearing shorts in the summer though. Frowned upon by many I know but I can work all day long in the heat most days so it works for me. I would rather bleed and be cooler.

No thanks.

Atlas gloves for $25/dozen on Amazon are the way for me. Comfortable, cool, great grip, durable... Nothing else is worth the money IMO. I have tried a lot of different gloves (not Estwing) from $5-30/pair and none of them last when doing firewood. Synthetic, deer skin, goat skin, buffalo....they all suck for durability. Some leather is better but not worth what you pay.

Hm, that's better pricing than the Ansell gloves that I like. Which Atlas gloves exactly do you use?

Here's the ones I picked up from Airgas, so far I really like them and as mentioned, hard to beat at $1 a pair. Think I'll stop there next time I get a chance and buy them all, only had a few packs left.

27989953_10213247572122130_782125226_o.jpg

Hm, that's better pricing than the Ansell gloves that I like. Which Atlas gloves exactly do you use?

Here's the ones I picked up from Airgas, so far I really like them and as mentioned, hard to beat at $1 a pair. Think I'll stop there next time I get a chance and buy them all, only had a few packs left.

View attachment 631958

Prices fluctuate. I just bought a dozen last week for $25 shipped:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DD2EK2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 631958
I've used those before. They did ok but over time and with heat, the nitrile stuff either gets really smooth with no grip or really sticky and gunks up everything I touched.

Been using the gorilla grips when it's warm and the blue coated knit Atlas-like ones when cooler out (doesn't get cold here in central NC- low teens was the coolest and back to the 20s-30s by mid morning). Still get holes in the fingers but the processor, tractor, and dump trailer has really helped me save money on gloves.:dumb2:

W

Latest posts

Back