Just roached a new Meteor cylinder on my Husky 395, ticked off.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriklane

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Front of piston was all scarred up, rings fried, rear of piston and cyl fine. Almost seems the cyl wasn't straight? Definitely pointing forward. $150 down the drain.

Well. Maybe you didn't install it correctly or had a vacuum leak or just plain overheated it. Let's see it as those are quality parts.

Joodas, not much to do wrong, *shrug*...base gasket, 4 bolts tight...carb high side 1.5 turns out, typical setup, using Amsoil 100:1 oil which is formulated for any 2 cycle, and I used it in all my saws, no problem...

Joodas, not much to do wrong, *shrug*...base gasket, 4 bolts tight...carb high side 1.5 turns out, typical setup, using Amsoil 100:1 oil which is formulated for any 2 cycle, and I used it in all my saws, no problem...

Besides the 100:1 mix:reading: what caused the saw to require a new top end? Likely the 100:1 caused the failure, but I'd still go over the saw to make sure you weren't dealing with multiple problems.

I lived not far from Amsoil's HQ. They make good oil but to say 100:1 is good for ANY two stroke is maddening. I really feel sorry for folks who put their faith into this recommendation and end up with broken engines.

I had a casual conversation with someone in their marketing department not long ago. When I brought this up I was told pointedly that I was wrong. I politely disengaged from the conversation.

I lived not far from Amsoil's HQ. They make good oil but to say 100:1 is good for ANY two stroke is maddening. I really feel sorry for folks who put their faith into this recommendation and end up with broken engines.

I had a casual conversation with someone in their marketing department not long ago. When I brought this up I was told pointedly that I was wrong. I politely disengaged from the conversation.

They have somewhat downplayed the 100:1 a bit, but still push that this type of stuff still happens. Wonder if Amsoil will cover the cost of a new top end? I doubt it!

I don't care what the bottles state, I wouldn't go with less than 50:1 - even at that ratio there is barely any excess oil coming out the muffler on numerous tanks full of fuel.

Back in the days (90's) when 25:1 was standard there was always oil dripping out the muffler of my Sachs-Dolmar 105 - might as well be the reason why she is still around today!

Sorry to hear about Your misfortune, but I agree with the others - 100:1 is too thin a mix, especially for break-in on a big cc saw.

Out of 4 different 2-stroke oil brands I used these past few years only the Makita 50:1 2-stroke oil I currently use, and only have a 1 Liter bottle of, actually makes its way out of the muffler - and it exits the muffler black as the darkest night making me believe it is flushing out carbon left behind by the other oils.
I am seriously considering to stock up on this particular oil!
Makita 50to1 2 stroke oil.jpg

I run my saws at 50:1, and my weed-whackers at 40:1.
If I have to sidestep to oils other than know-to-me Dolmar & Makita (rarely), I run 32:1 in all equipment.

Latest posts

Back