Just saw a "For parts or repair" 346xp NE sell on Evilbay for....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Boyer

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
$$$ 302.xx!!! it had the "XP" on the top cover, and e-tech i think-But it sure makes me feel better about snapping up 350's and the occasional 346xps-one OE (running ) for $ 195 (I gave the old timer/Gentleman farmer 2 bills-no change required, I didn't even try to beat him up (price wise, mind you!) since the saw looked almost new!

I know I'm an odd ball non conformist, and i've learned that a few "wrong" words can bring fire and brimstone! so I'm tryin' to be careful--Wow that was a random though(!?) Lithium time perhaps....;)

And then I got a 2009 CAT equipped NE with a seized, but not broken or stuck slug, which I tore into yesterday and found it to be quite clean otherwise and -woo-hoo!- totally stock. Needless to say THAT will change in Many ways! I plan to do a photo essay on removing the Aluminium pickup on the MAHLE, (pronounced MA-LAY, according to a multilingual friend of mine)-With Ph14 Caustic Soda-commonly referred to as Lye, NaOH, or POH, followed by Acetic acid *White vinegar"-Ph 2.5ish to Neutralize, and then bakingsoda wash, Ph ~8 . I'll try to photo it as bast I can-no promises.

A thought crossed my mind just now, I have a 350, both 346 OE and NE Jugs all apart right now.
Would it benefit anyone, or for posterity, for me to produce a port map using tracing paper , or (*Add suggestion accordingly*) so that it might benefit others in the future?

(back to... where was I?) Oh Yeah!

So this broken ebay 346 saw went for almost $350 with shipping, while both my 346's were under 200, and the highest I paid for a "showroom quality 350" was $175, then $120 for a nice runner and $325 for a pair of decent runners.
Eventually I plan to go mad scientist on those--And at that , I would like to express my most heartfelt and sincere appreciation to all those here that offer up their Hard Earned trade secrets and other proprietary info to just about anyone! Such a selfless act would almost surely hurt One's bottom line, but perhaps business is still good enough and amateur "builders" are an insignificant percent-even if they "get good" at their trade and try to sell their handi-work.

So My Most Sincere Gratitude to those that share so freely! You make AS an exceptional place!

So after the 346's, I plan to lean on those 350's and see just how much a plastic saw can take! BTW, I have a 1995-6(?) or so Echo CS-5000 (grey) that has seen it's share of tree service/firewood duty, and it is still 100% original-never opened up, and while most parts are discontinued, I'll run it 'till it finally says "NoMore", or I croak, whichever comes first. Heck, I've NEVER even changed the spark plug!, Gapped it and trimmed the side electrode to get a nice square edge-lightly dressed the center as well, But I attribute it's long life to always running a sharp chain, keeping it tuned, including a clean filter, running Good Premix, and warming it up for a bit in the summer and a bit more in the winter.

OK, enough ranting, i'll get with the toxic waste Asap, and if anyone thinks maps would help, post away!

Regards, Mike

Back