Just scored 038 Magnum II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavis331

Wiggle wiggle wiggle
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy had this advertised on face book. My brother found it for me as I don't spend a lot of time on there. Starts right up and screams. Needs a good cleaning and top cover has a crack. I think I did pretty good. $225 whaddya think?
IMG_20160903_175728139.jpg
IMG_20160903_175710853.jpg

Phrasing, lol I just clicked on this thread expecting to see some carnage, saw don't look too bad, especially for a magnum, just ask @Boomer 87 how he feels about his 038 haha

Actually I'd like to find a nice one local to me sometime , the 038 and 028 were one of my favorite saws . If you had one of each that was pretty much all you needed and run forever !

I think ya did ok for 225...ck for a bing carb to verify its 72cc I think is what the mag11 are. Might have a dual port muffler too. I think it should say make in brazil on the recoil cover. There not light but real strong and stone reliable. nice

What's the first number of the serial ? , seems to me the later 038 came out of Brazil . Stihl got some resistance when they wanted to drop that model , it was very popular .

I'm sure most know the first number tells you where it was built...
1-Germany
2-USA
3-Brazil
4-China

When Stihl announced they were dropping the 038 any we had in the warehouse were bought up by dealers within a couple days . By that time the 044 was kicking azz but there is always some reluctance to change .

Buddy walked into my shop with an 038 he bought from a Husky dealer. They said it was "blown up" and sold it to him for $25.00. Top end (thru muffler) looked new. Had no compression on bottom end. Bad leak somewhere. Then I notice the jug was loose. Turns out it had two broken jug bolts. So...4 bolts and a gasket later it was running like brand new! A real powerhouse! Not sure how those bolts got snapped without damaging the jug or case, but the saw runs great now! Looks new too! Wish I could find stuff like that!!! :D I think you did good Beavis331!! 038's are really nice saws in my opinion! Nice find!:clap:

Latest posts

Back