Just when you think stihl stopped suprising you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horse####....I promise you wont pay more at my shop...I get so tired of that argument...if thats the case, find another shop...

best one I have found is 1129 120 0653 $96.75

You're the exception. Not the rule and I respect you for that.

I've yet to meet a dealer that wasn't on a gouge-fest and I've never had a good experience with any dealerships that I've dealt with. That's why I don't buy anything from them anymore. I now buy used equipment, do all my own maintenance and buy materials, accessories, parts etc. elsewhere. Save tons of money and don't feel like I've been worked over.

You're the exception. Not the rule and I respect you for that.

I've yet to meet a dealer that wasn't on a gouge-fest and I've never had a good experience with any dealerships that I've dealt with. That's why I don't buy anything from them anymore. I now buy used equipment, do all my own maintenance and buy materials, accessories, parts etc. elsewhere. Save tons of money and don't feel like I've been worked over.

Yeah, so you buy your parts online then, so Stihl Stealers are excluded eh?

Not one has ever helped you in any way? They all have worked you over? None have even looked up a part number for you?

Yeah, so you buy your parts online then, so Stihl Stealers are excluded eh?

Not one has ever helped you in any way? They all have worked you over? None have even looked up a part number for you?

Unfortunately, you are correct.

I've never asked for any assistance from a dealership. After initial disappointment, I pretty much wrote them off. Not just Stihl. I've found all brand specific dealers around here to be arrogant. The absolute wost is Toro. They have some serious attitude problems.

I pretty much know what i need/want and where to find it. I've found that general purpose small engine shops are far more accommodating. That's where I go for most of my stuff. They've always seemed to get me what I need and price is usually half or less than what a dealership charges.

My last taste of dealership gouging was buying a carb kit for the Jreds 630. Local Husky/Jreds dealer wanted almost $12.00. Bought one from the small engine shop for around $5.80.

Not saying all dealerships are bad, but around here, it seems to be a trend.

Yeah I try supporting local businesses but got stung again! I went in to local mower joint! Brought a chain for $50 and said can you get me a ripping chain, and how much will it be! He said yeah should be roughly same as your normal chain!
Got a call that it's in and $200 wtf!!! It's a 25 inch bar .404!
Rang stihl and he said 25f of chain is $155 so the guys got the whole roll in and charging me for it! So got stihl to get it for more! I am happy to pay 15-20% more locally but fudge me!
Once bitten twice shy!

Yeah I try supporting local businesses but got stung again! I went in to local mower joint! Brought a chain for $50 and said can you get me a ripping chain, and how much will it be! He said yeah should be roughly same as your normal chain!
Got a call that it's in and $200 wtf!!! It's a 25 inch bar .404!
Rang stihl and he said 25f of chain is $155 so the guys got the whole roll in and charging me for it! So got stihl to get it for more! I am happy to pay 15-20% more locally but fudge me!
Once bitten twice shy!

Has to be carbide, Buddy.

Madsen's is a great place to buy new stuff from. Even with the shipping still a lot cheaper than what it would cost in Canada and their service+knowledge+advice is amazing.

Ordered 2 zama carbs to get 2 of my MS200t's sorted. Did it on saturday so they couldnt give me a price.

They rang me to tell me that they were on there way, over $250 US dollars EACH.

They cant make a carb to save themselves and then overcharge like that for it

Nice
I agree my friend, I had to buy one for my 660. That hurt too. Another reason I love my huskies, hard to beat them tilly's eh?

I dont blame the dealer at all, its stihl and the distributors who are putting stupid mark ups on the stuff before the dealer has even seen em.

And because of the no shipping of stihl stuff, it cant be circumvented easily.

A new MS201 is about 1350 US dollars here (I automatically convert it from 1700 kiwi dollars for you guys so you get an idea of scale).

I can buy a return ticket and fly from NZ to LA 6706 miles, get fed 3 meals, drink, sit on my butt and watch movies for 12 hours. Buy 3 ms201t's (or 12 carbs) in LA, get on a flight back to nz, get 3 more meals, drink my fill, watch movies and fly another 6706 miles in 12 hours and it would cost me less than buying 3 ms201's at the dealer 10 minutes away.

Its a pity I hate flying!

The reality is that parts are so expensive, that having a few wrecked MS200t to pick over for parts is money in the bank. I buy as many wreck saws as good ones to keep the others running without spending an arm and leg. Changing saws isnt likely to happen to soon.

Last edited:
Howdy,
We have these available (see attachment).
There are very few direct replacement carbs available for Stihl's outside of Stihl's distribution. Stihl and the carb manufacturers enter a proprietary agreement that restrains the manufacturer from selling direct replacements. I've never had the time but, I'm pretty sure that there is a Zama C1Q base carb that could be stripped, and then have the Stihl only components from your original carb installed on it. Their base carbs run about the $50 - $60 retail.
Regards
Gregg

$250 is way too much, but I'm going to say +1 on replacing it with stihl OEM for $110. The 200T is my money maker. It has a return on investment that's so ridiculously high that I'd gladly pay over retail for a new one. I figure I make about $150k out of each 200T I own. It's the only saw I can't replace with anything else. I keep a few good runners so I don't have to do without, and if I ever see a new one I buy it.

I had one go bad a month or so ago. It idled and reved out fine, but had no power in the cut, it bogged down easy. Had plenty of compression, so I swapped the carb out with the one from a good runner and it worked fine. I don't know much about the internals of the carbs, but they've got some sort of high rev pump or something that provides extra fuel. Maybe I could have put a kit through it. Maybe I could have put it into a ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe I could have stripped it down a dozen times, and each time not fixed the problem and sent myself insane. If you have your 200T as a hobby saw then tinkering might be fun. If you're using it to make money, then buying a new carb makes sense. Double so if it's your only climing saw.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back