Just wondering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so many experts.................

Threads like this really crack me up. I find it amusing when people think that they know everything about a subject when in reality they know very little. Everybody wants to jump on the trash-the-municipality bandwagon. Point fingers, assign blame, and stand on a soapbox condemning all tree work done by the Cities and towns that we live in.:angry:

In my experience it is actually power companies who are doing this type of work, not municipalities. These are for profit companies that get paid to keep the power on, therefore trees have to go. Simple.

Its easy to sit at a keyboard and spout off about how you think the world should be, Its a totally different thing to actually do something to make a difference.

Don't get me wrong, its cool to ask the questions, its just not cool to point fingers untill you have the full story.

Threads like this really crack me up. I find it amusing when people think that they know everything about a subject when in reality they know very little. Everybody wants to jump on the trash-the-municipality bandwagon. Point fingers, assign blame, and stand on a soapbox condemning all tree work done by the Cities and towns that we live in.:angry:

In my experience it is actually power companies who are doing this type of work, not municipalities. These are for profit companies that get paid to keep the power on, therefore trees have to go. Simple.

Its easy to sit at a keyboard and spout off about how you think the world should be, Its a totally different thing to actually do something to make a difference.

Don't get me wrong, its cool to ask the questions, its just not cool to point fingers untill you have the full story.
The city that has the tree owns the power co.....I am was trained by a power co and i never ever had to cut a tree like this one...Im not sure what the plan was with it but im telling u this one will not work...A top heavy white pine out in the middle of no where is goin gto come down....Just a matter of time...WE all know the limbs they took off the tree will never come back and the top is going to be getting bigger and bigger.....I admitt IM not as good as most the guys on here nore do i clam to be.....I do how ever know some things and this one for me is a no noooooo......

agreed

The city that has the tree owns the power co.....I am was trained by a power co and i never ever had to cut a tree like this one...Im not sure what the plan was with it but im telling u this one will not work...A top heavy white pine out in the middle of no where is goin gto come down....Just a matter of time...WE all know the limbs they took off the tree will never come back and the top is going to be getting bigger and bigger.....I admitt IM not as good as most the guys on here nore do i clam to be.....I do how ever know some things and this one for me is a no noooooo......

I agree that it is a hack job, no question. And now you're giving us more of the story. So who can answer your question as to why????

I agree that it is a hack job, no question. And now you're giving us more of the story. So who can answer your question as to why????

IM not sure who is the mayor there now but im going to fine out...Then Im going to warn him about the tree....I think they sub contract to a tree co. out of town...Not sure but i will fine out and warn them bout the tree..IT will cost them more money then it would to fix the power line tranformers phone line tv line...lest goes on and on lol That part of the town has the most houses in it as well...Maybe with some luck I will get to finish what that started ....Lol only good thing bout them starting the stopping is half the word is done..LOL

Yeah it does look like a typical row clearance.... It doesnt make it right and I agree it is a typical utility HACK JOB.... I will see if I can snap some pics of the local trees around here... Same type of work.... It makes me sick.
Big notches cut out of the canopies and what not... This is a licensed company too.... I think people that do this type of work should be fined.
I dont care who they are or who they work for... It makes us all look like DONKEYS......

*****I am sorry if I have affended anyone, but My Opinion is My Opinion and it wont likely change........

Are you saying that the guys in your area who work for the power companies are certified arboroists???

Yeah I am saying that Davey has certified arborists who list the trees that need to be HACKED up for PG&E..... Those are our local companies, But I would bet dollars to Doughnuts that it is the same way elsewhere......

not the same

Yeah I am saying that Davey has certified arborists who list the trees that need to be HACKED up for PG&E..... Those are our local companies, But I would bet dollars to Doughnuts that it is the same way elsewhere......

Maybe the work is reccommended or scheduled by CA's but probably done by less skilled individuals (obviously less skilled in this case). I am sure that there are specifications for proper pruning procedures, whether or not they are followed is an entirely diferent subject.................

I recently attended a lecture/panel discussion with our local power companies. I found it very informative and kind of interesting. We all want our power to stay on but many people get upset when lines are cleared to help keep the power on. Truth of the matter is trees should not be planted anywhere near power lines, but people do anyway. Trimming is a compromise to removing all of the treees that should be removed to keep the power on.

A figure that stands out in my head from the lecture I went to. If the power companies were to remove all of the trees deemed hazardous near there lines in Mass. they would be looking at spending ove 74 million dollars:dizzy: . Now thats a contract I'd like to get!

Maybe the work is reccommended or scheduled by CA's but probably done by less skilled individuals (obviously less skilled in this case). I am sure that there are specifications for proper pruning procedures, whether or not they are followed is an entirely diferent subject.................

I recently attended a lecture/panel discussion with our local power companies. I found it very informative and kind of interesting. We all want our power to stay on but many people get upset when lines are cleared to help keep the power on. Truth of the matter is trees should not be planted anywhere near power lines, but people do anyway. Trimming is a compromise to removing all of the treees that should be removed to keep the power on.

A figure that stands out in my head from the lecture I went to. If the power companies were to remove all of the trees deemed hazardous near there lines in Mass. they would be looking at spending ove 74 million dollars:dizzy: . Now thats a contract I'd like to get!

I do agree entirely with you on this. I am working utilities right now and go through this everyday.

The main electric company that we have down here is ameren and they hire sub contractors such as shade tree service out of Fenton Mo and they all are certified in the areas of arborculture.

It looks like a removal that got stopped to me. I've seen land owners insist on some very stupid things. Around hear it seems the Utility Co. will back down to vocal homeowners pretty quickly. Then wait till a power outage is caused on the vocal persons property, pull a permit, and clear a nice clean path to the ground the entire width of the ROW and spray to keep things down in the future. Always wish there could have been a compromise earlier when I get called on those jobs.

Back