Karri forest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poplar makes a fabulous trim wood under paint. Some of the nicest painted finish work in high-end custom homes I've ever seen was Poplar. The pulp market tanked around here a couple years ago, so I'm told that even the poplar pulp farms are going to use their trees for finish lumber.

J. D.

Sound's Good JD . Cheer's MM

From some of the article's I have read Bob , I would have to agree with you , but sadly Wikipedia need to get there act together , here is the same tree with info from Wikipedia , but different height . Not a bad story though . Cheer's MM

Good old wiki fails again. My students are not permitted to use wiki as a reference in their studies - too many mistakes. The old Glouster tree is hardly a monster tree - In fact its only an average karri. We used to climb that thing as kids and one guy I know had a job as a fire spotter up there one summer - he got pretty fit climbing up and down half a dozen times a day.

Exelent Bob the cant hook's and handle's look great , I have seen this before , but it's still well worth another look , nice color's , paint and timber . Cheer's MM All I got to say is bloody Wiki . That's interesting about the tree mate , I would love to climb it myself .

Last edited:
is that species a hardwood or softwood and how's it saw?

It's a hardwood for sure, but not one of the dense ones by Aussie standards.
It's a little bit denser and harder than White Oak.
Saws OK with the carbide cutters on a swingblade mill, or a real sharp bandsaw.

With a bit of thinning that stand should produce some excellent saw logs in a few more years :)

Ian

Latest posts

Back