Kawasaki blower loosing RPM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50:1

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Poulan backpack blower with a Kawasaki engine. It will run good at full throttle for the first few minutes of operation and then starts losing RPM slowly. RPM gets lower and lower until it finally dies. I put a carb kit in it. Didn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions? All advice is much appreciated.

50:1 said:
I have a Poulan backpack blower with a Kawasaki engine. It will run good at full throttle for the first few minutes of operation and then starts losing RPM slowly. RPM gets lower and lower until it finally dies. I put a carb kit in it. Didn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions? All advice is much appreciated.
Take the muffler off and inspect the piston. It will be scored. Sorry.

I'm not a chainsaw or leaf blower guy, but I've done a bit of work on small engines, 2-smoke scooters etc (popular here in Japan).

If the various fixes and or suggestions don't show the problem, may I suggest something from my experience.

I had a similar problem with a 50cc scooter, it turns out the carb was set rather rich, and over the years, the muffler became full of goo, or splooge.
The engine would run fine, until the muffler was not passing enough exhaust gas, then it would do exactly what you are describing.

I took off the muffler and plugged up the exhaust, and sprayed a whole can of oven cleaner into the intake of the muffler, then plugged up the intake, and rocked the muffler back and forth a number of times to make sure the oven cleaner worked all the way through, I then let it sit for a few hours (warm the muffler up first, it works even better).

After I unplugged the muffler and out came many years of goo and splooge. I flushed the muffler with water :shock: and then with kerosene.

The muffler was cleaned out, and that scooter now runs just fine.

May not be the solution to your problem, but I just thought I'd add it to the database :D

Cheers & Happy New Years!

Stu in Tokyo said:
I'm not a chainsaw or leaf blower guy, but I've done a bit of work on small engines, 2-smoke scooters etc (popular here in Japan).

If the various fixes and or suggestions don't show the problem, may I suggest something from my experience.

I had a similar problem with a 50cc scooter, it turns out the carb was set rather rich, and over the years, the muffler became full of goo, or splooge.
The engine would run fine, until the muffler was not passing enough exhaust gas, then it would do exactly what you are describing.

I took off the muffler and plugged up the exhaust, and sprayed a whole can of oven cleaner into the intake of the muffler, then plugged up the intake, and rocked the muffler back and forth a number of times to make sure the oven cleaner worked all the way through, I then let it sit for a few hours (warm the muffler up first, it works even better).

After I unplugged the muffler and out came many years of goo and splooge. I flushed the muffler with water :shock: and then with kerosene.

The muffler was cleaned out, and that scooter now runs just fine.

May not be the solution to your problem, but I just thought I'd add it to the database :D

Cheers & Happy New Years!

The carb doesn't have any adjustment screws. I'll check the muffler though. Thanx for the tip.

Back