Keeping lowering and climbing gear separate....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdnphotog

Reaction score
Basic Question...

What is common practice in keeping climbing and hauling/lowering/rigging equipment separate - Can/should anything be shared? Slings, Biners, Pulleys?

Now is there a practice for marking the equipment to keep it separate?

I keep everything seperate and color coded if I am able. Like my red rope bags are for climbing and the yellow is for lowering. Steel biners for rigging and aluminum for climbing. I keep on webbing strap on my saddle for a re-direct and the rest are for rigging. That webbing and biner combo is the only that may go both ways. I will use my redirect set-up for a rigging point in a pinch but being it is used for a redirect I know I still have my main TIP if it were to fail.

As well a lot of people have different safety factor for their gear were their climbing is a 10:1 and their rigging is a 5:1. So it is just good practice to keep the two seperate.

Never really had a problem with this-different equipment for climbing and lowering. For example, my lowering lines are all a different size, brand, make, and even color than my climbing lines. Screw lock biners are used for lowering, rope snaps are used for climbing. And the list could go on. So it's really impossible to mix them up.

Back