Kellog Impact Splitter Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This machine is in development. I don't see him trying to sell it here.

Big difference.

Anyway it is good to ask for feedback on a product being developed. This type of thing has a long tradition on the internet.

on turning it around, i meant have the engine up around the tongue of the trailer.
when you get splitting a bunch of wood, it is easy to drop/toss teh wood, then pull the trailer forward as you split wood to give you room to work.

PES,

Thank you for the support.

No such high tech engineering as using the torsional effects of the shaft to help. The main shaft is long because the forward-neutral-reverse mechanism takes up a lot of space on one side. The version prior to this one (picture also on the forum) had a shorter shaft. The flywheels were not centered on the I-beam. This lead to some minor issues balance of the main hsg on the i-beam so I made the flywheels equidistant from the center of the I-beam on this version. That is why the shaft seems to be long on one side and seems to be longer than it needs to be.

The cover attaches to the main housing and moves along with it down the I-beam. The long "tail cover" covers the screw and also moves with the main cover. This is different from a hydraulic splitter in which only the pusher or the wedge move.

I must say that I really do appreciate all you guys taking the time to think thru the design and bring up very,very good questions and comments. Some I can answer and some may make me go back to the drawing board (which is a good thing). None of us is as smart as all of us.

Drmiller100,

Sorry, I totally misunderstood your question.

It could easily be turned around however when the wedge is all the way back the drive screw extends more than 2 ft behind the machine. It would likely hit your vehicle. The tongue would have to be much longer increasing the length of the machine. However this is perfectly feasible.

Thanks for the idea.

It's what sets the internet apart from any other media form.

I am a small sponsor and pray that exchange of ideas and insights will never become stifled because of the highest paying sponsor.

A good idea is a good idea and innovation never comes from large companies any longer.

kellog just some quick questions.

Is there a reason to have the flywheels so far apart?

IE are you using torsional effect of the shaft to accentuate hammer strike of the cam?

Also I am having a hard time visualizing how the cover works when in use.

Perhaps for now just some still shots of the unit in action?

There are a lot of advantages of your design over any of the current electric over hydraulic units available.

Also document EVERYTHING you do PRECISELY to protect your own ideas.

Patents are expensive and many times are hijacked to the originators loss.

You have something here..........please stick with it.

BIG FAT REP for both you AND Kellog ....it's why this country is really in demand .

Kellog, your latest version certainly looks more finished..... perhaps even "production ready"? My offer still stands to try your unit out, as a wood burning home owner. I too am looking forward to seeing video. If i get down your way in the near future, i'd love to see it in person.

Haywire,

You are absolutely right, the original post did sound like a commercial. I was trying to get people interested to critique the design. As expected the great folks at Arboristsite did a super job asking tough questions and making great suggestions and for that I am very greatful.

You guys are killing me with this video request. I am working on it. I have absolutely no video equipment (I am a negative videophile). However I have contacted a friend who says he can make a video. I will go to his place Sat morning to split some wood for him and he will do the video. Hopefully by Saturday night you will have it.

I would let the Arboristsite police do their job in the future.

Ductape,

As I said a few months ago I will likely take you up on your offer to test. Currently I am trying to get some professionals interested in testing for me.

I am taking the machine shown in first post to a friend of mine next week. He is a 200 cord/yr "semi-professional" firewood guy. He will keep it for a couple of months to "beat it up". I hope to get some serious feedback from him.

I will continue to build machinery (it takes me a couple of months to build one now) and I will want to share a few machines with professional and non-professionals alike for evaluation and feedback.

Stay tuned.

:jawdrop:

That gives new meaning to the words 2 handed operation!!!:laugh:

+1

Last edited:
OK Guys. You sufficiently badgered me into making a video. This morning I went to a friends house to split wood and he made a video with his digital camera. It is a relatively low quality video but I think you can see how the machine works. He had 14"-15" diameter dry birch and 8-9" diameter green hickory. I hope this is what you were looking for. The link is

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/kelsmi/?action=view&current=MVI_0444.flv

Very cool! Now come to my house in Cromwell and we can try it out on some cherry, poplar, maple and oak that i have:)

Stew

Back