Killed my Dolmar 5100S??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paper or Plastic at the grocery store.......:clap: :clap:

LOL, and put the f-cking cap on the spout. Thats what my buddy Hobbie told that landscaper. I about died trying not to laff. Those boys were getting a mights rawdy,LOLOL

I just got a PS-5100S from cuttinscott and I don't know nuttin' 'bout saws except what I've read here. I ran it through a couple heat cycles (like I've always done with my new dirtbike motors) and then bucked a small pile of Ash rounds. The saw sounds great, cuts great, and the plug has a nice brown color.
I have no idea what RPMs it's turning but it says 14,500 on the sticker. LOL
My "Get a Stihl" buddy that works for a tree service seemed to be impressed with it, other than the dealer being 1 hr. drive from here. I'd side with him if I was trying to make a living with a saw.
I'll look into the tach/mods/chains after the warranty runs out and I have more experience running a saw.

LOL, and put the f-cking cap on the spout. Thats what my buddy Hobbie told that landscaper. I about died trying not to laff. Those boys were getting a mights rawdy,LOLOL

damn...............THALL keep this fishing expedition going....

I need a few hours sleep..Its going to be a long nite .......:) :)

I love winter......Snow= more 660's

damn...............THALL keep this fishing expedition going....

I need a few hours sleep..Its going to be a long nite .......:) :)

I love winter......Snow= more 660's

Well if your going out to plow snow in the cold tonite I got some advice, put a f -cking cap on,LOLOLOLOLOL

Sad story here for Dolmar. A guy has a problem with a 5100 and now we are uncovering more of a universal problem with the 5100 as Andyshine was hinting at. Looks like more sales for the 346xp and ms260 after AS members read this and back away from the 5100. Hopefully Dolmar can remedy the problem. I hate to see them fade away because of a few problems and bad dealers. My dolmar dealer has no previous 2-stroke experience (hardware store), so I hope he isn't just handing the saws out without checking the RPM's. Seems it might be a little to easy to land a dealership right now.......

Seems it might be a little to easy to land a dealership right now.......

I looked into being a Dolmar dealer about a year ago. They were really really pickey about location and service, and buying inventory. I have a shop here that I could run a saw shop in, but forget them. No one here runs them, and the timber falling economy is in the tank.

Sad story here for Dolmar. A guy has a problem with a 5100 and now we are uncovering more of a universal problem with the 5100 as Andyshine was hinting at. Looks like more sales for the 346xp and ms260 after AS members read this and back away from the 5100. Hopefully Dolmar can remedy the problem. I hate to see them fade away because of a few problems and bad dealers. My dolmar dealer has no previous 2-stroke experience (hardware store), so I hope he isn't just handing the saws out without checking the RPM's. Seems it might be a little to easy to land a dealership right now.......

Well, we'll have to wait and see about this storied demise of the 5100. :popcorn:

My Dolmar dealer is still selling 5100s here in Ohio and I stop in and BS with him regularly when passing through and in 3 years of doing that, I've seen one 5100 that was smoked from an air leak.

Strange thing is, there's always a lot more Stihls in his shop, waiting for repairs than Dolmars. :monkey:

Well, we'll have to wait and see about this storied demise of the 5100. :popcorn:

My Dolmar dealer is still selling 5100s here in Ohio and I stop in and BS with him regularly when passing through and in 3 years of doing that, I've seen one 5100 that was smoked from an air leak.

Strange thing is, there's always a lot more Stihls in his shop, waiting for repairs than Dolmars. :monkey:

Stihl out sells Dolmar by an embrassingly(for Dolmar) huge margin. Your dealer should have at least 100 newer Stihls for every Dolmar in his shop. If you include older Stihls than probably around 1000.

Dolmar has some issues that they need to remedy, most of which are company/dealer orienated and some design issues.

Hopefully Dolmar will persist and overcome. The 5100 has been a black eye for many folks while the 6400 is a very good saw and a great value at $550.00. Hands down the best mid range firewood saw value around here.

They need to maintain an aggressive price strategy and greatly improve the dealer quality soon. Hard situation to deal with.

I have never met a "professional"(earns their living using) that uses the newer Dolmar saws on purpose, chainsaw or cut-off saws. Many have purchased them and decided not to keep them. That is how I get almost all my newer Dolmars.

Last edited:

Dolmar's biggest problem is the lack of knowledgeable dealers. If Dolmar had better dealers, I think many of these issues would have been resolved by now. Most people running these saws don't even know they have a problem, they just keep running them until they quit.

:cheers: Andy.

Just took my 5100 out for it's maiden voyage. It's a replacement for my ms250 (which is stihl in good shape) Just wanted a little more aggesiveness. Most of my big cutting is with an 044. I detuned it slightly to the rich, do not have ethanol issues, and used 100% synthetic. It did a great job on green Juniper/Cedar. Guess I'll keep it on the low side of lean until it's been through a few tanks. I'm hoping to avoid the mushroom cloud syndrome.

Latest posts

Back