Killing Morning Glory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PDQL,

Thanks for the heads up on Garlon. It would be a BOON to be able to simply bark apply the stuff.

Unfortunately, in addition to the usual state and Fed. health and safety stuff for Lisc. applicators, We are bound by FDA/USDA regs. and label restrictions as well as some export agreements.

Until Garlon or tordon is labeled for Blueberrys AND approved for use by the MDA and our primary buyers, I can't use it for anything but the margins.

Not a big operation really, just over 30 acres (32,000 or so bushes) in total.
Used to be a grower could get by with just 3 Pesticides, Paraquat-Captan-Guithion, but everything has gone bat#### crazy since about 1992, and now us fruit growers have a mountain of spray dope to manage, in order to be compliant and maintain effectiveness.

Nope, never used Diquat.
Paraquat(Gromoxone) it is, it's old school but still works very well. Nasty evil stuff, but works on everything, including the nastys that are are Glyphosate resistant, for spot spraying. But again, thanks to timing issues and growth cycles, just about the time it would be perfect to nail the creeping crud, we are restricted.LOL!!
Gotta get everything on before June, and rely on the pre-emerge, as our Fruit gets certified for export and verified by USDA and a third party. Can't even be sneaky if we wanted to.

Glufosinate is interesting, as it works near as well as Gromoxone on most Glyphosate resistant pests,and is much less Toxic, but at three times the cost of Paraquat.
If we have an employee applicating, or it's hotter than hell and I don't feel like wearing the fish skins, it's worth it.

Ammonium Sulfamate eh? LOL!!! WHOOPS!
Yeah, it's persistent and will NUKE quite a few species including Blueberrys.
About 10 years ago one of our Nursery outfits got a bulk batch of fertilizer that was contaminated with the stuff. It cost them a Million or so bucks, and a BUNCH of growers that bought potted nursery stock, lost out as well, then lost again when they re-planted. It's not real bad in sandy soil, but get upwards of 5% organic matter in the soil and it's persistent for a whole season.
The settlement from the lawsuit was spectacular.
I havn't heard anything about it bieng carcinogenic though.

Speaking of adjuvants, something ya might wanna try.
Miller NU-Film 17. Lowers the surface tension enough to keep the product on Poison Ivy AND is a sticker/extender. Ya end up using less product and it's more effective.Beats Diesel and and plain old surficants by a good margin.

Thanks!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I never heard that about the sulfamate. It's amazing the difference just two letters can make, isn't it?

You can bet some middle manager that didn't know anything about chemicals told his peons to use it for some of the N in the fertilizer. That was my plan...but who would care if you were using it with roundup?

When I discovered the error, I also discovered it didn't really work worth a hoot as a soil sterilant. I used it all up and still had weeds.

I don't need any special surfactant for poison ivy. I have over 30 gallons of Tordon 22k, with no USDA restrictions to pay attention to. I'd love to share the story about how I got so much overstock, but it might cause problems somewhere else in the world.

Just curious if Surflan is still available. Used to mix that with Roundup. It worked well as a pre-emergent killer. I have used CrossBow on our Himalayan Blackberries here in the Northwest when they would come up in ivy patches. As long as you were careful to only spray the blackberry it was very effective. I will say it has been a lot of years since I've used the commercial products.

Oryzalin(Surflan) is still out there and heavily relied on for fruit crops around here.

The local Blackberrys snort it up with glee though. LOL!!

It isn't a restricted herbicide, and I suspect resistence has developed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ah, very good Sir. Thank you for your reply and update. It has been several years since I was involved in grounds care.

I too second the application of Tordon RTU on fresh cut stumps. Dab or paint it on and don't waste.

Many years ago we used Ortho Paraquat. Simply and amazing herbicide.

Latest posts

Back