Killing Norway Maple Shoots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
I removed a 8 inch diameter Norway Maple from my front garden as it was too close to the stump. I elected to leave the stump as is as it was lopped off at ground level and surrounded by hostas, and I was assured that Norways did not send up shoots once cut by my last boss. Well the ???? thing is prolifically sending up new growth from below soil level. Is there a way to kill this thing. I do not have access to a stump grinder right now having just started a new job, nor do I really want to tear up the flower bed getting to it. Keep destroying the new growth (I took me three years to kill two soft maples that had established themselves in my back yard while I was away and the house was rented) or is there a chemical I can drill into the stump to end this tree's misery?

Paint or spray the NEW GROWTH with Roundup (mixed at normal-slightly strong mixture). Roundup is a SYSTEMIC herbicide that is absorbed through the LEAVES. Once it hits the dirt, it is basically inert. I believe that it chemically bonds with the soil so tightly that roots cannot absorb it off the soil. So if you only spray the leaves of the problem plants, it will not affect your desirable plants. It seems to absorb more quickly into actively growing plants, so spraying new growth is much more effective than spraying old, established growth.

Latest posts

Back