killing sprouts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello all, saw this request for help on a DIY forum, and thought it might get better feedback here.

After spending the coldest part of the winter working inside the
house, I am now going to start on the outside, but I have run into a problem. We have some type of tree that puts up new trees off the roots. The little ones will just get cut down by regular mowing but after two years of no yard maintance, I have some that are about 2 inches around. There are also 'stumps' all over the yard where the city brush hogged it, these stumps are a hazard and have caused many twisted ankles and faces full of dirt. Is there any way or anything I can put in these to stop them from growing more? A stump remover product would probably be too much as none of the ones I am dealing with are bigger than two inches, and we are planning on removing most of the large parent trees so we can save our roof, and pipelines from any further damages. Thanks for any and all advise.

Originally posted by rb_in_va
we are planning on removing most of the large parent trees so we can save our roof, and pipelines from any further damages.
Here we go again. Advice #1, ID your trees so you know about them, like which send up root suckers, etc.

2. Look at what's really going on with you roof and pipes, and consider all your options--like pruning the tree to lessen roof impact, etc. What's wrong with your pipes?:confused:

3. several herbicides work to kill root sprouts via spraying. Read and follow directions.

this querier sounds like a real arborphobe but who knows if they can be prompted to think they may not clearcut their yard.:rolleyes:

Guy, I don't know what's wrong with her pipes. She lives in Oklahoma. I will send back any information I get from this forum, especially that which would keep her from simply taking the tree out because they suspect it may interfere with the plumbing.

It seems that lately a lot of people I have run into have talked about taking trees down. A person at work wanted to take a tree out because she thought it looked like a "Poltergeist" tree:confused: Then after talking to her for awhile she said it was really just the ivy on the tree that bothered her. Also my brother in law said he wanted to take out a big tree in the backyard because it has a split. He was talking like it might be a DIY project, but I said no way. The tree is about 15 feet from his house. I also told him to get advice from a reputable company. There seems to be tree care "pros" all over around here since Isabel came through, so I told him to be careful. In any case, I hope I have at least made people think about options other than just removal. I will try to get pics of these trees and post them (except for the one in OK, that's a little too far). Later, Roger.

A person at work wanted to take a tree out because she thought it looked like a "Poltergeist" tree:confused: Then after talking to her for awhile she said it was really just the ivy on the tree that bothered her.
:laugh:

Also my brother in law said he wanted to take out a big tree in the backyard because it has a split. I also told him to get advice from a reputable company. There seems to be tree care "pros" all over around here since Isabel came through,
After Fran in 96 the # of yp ads doubled. A lot of treecudders who only know how to remove and so that's all they can sell. :angry:Idiots.

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/hazards.asp

On this page, removal is the last of 5 options for dealing with tree defects, and an arborist is the one who can offer reliable advice. You can print it out; saves a lot of talking to just hand it to them (with key points highlighted):cool:

Guy, fyi, the person that requested tree help said this:

"We have just replaced half of our clay tile sewer line due to roots growing into them and punching holes."

She said they could not replace all the sewer line for various reasons and wanted to stem further problems before they occured. Later, Roger.

Guy, fyi, the person that requested tree help said this:

"We have just replaced half of our clay tile sewer line due to roots growing into them and punching holes."

Sounds to me like a sewer contractor is making some income on this job. Yes tree roots will get into a BROKEN sewer line. Especially one made of clay. If contractor wanted to make permanant repair line should be replaced with PVC material or similiar. Tree roots cannot usually penetrate through plastic piping. Of course how this is done is factor also. Bringing in a backhoe and digging 6'- 8' trench through live root will cause a lot of damage. Careful tunneling and avoiding root system is possible, contractor has to be told how.

Be careful not to apply stump killer to root suckers unless you want to kill the parent tree! I know this seems obvious but I've seen people do it before :rolleyes:

rb,

where in Oklahoma is this lady? Im here and have heard nothing. Since I (or someone i know) may be closer, have her contact me. I know pros in several large towns and may be able to direct her to a closer contact.

As for spraying stump sprouts, Im not sure much of anything would work w/o killing or severly damaging the parent tree. maybe roundup, but I wouldnt use it if I for sure wanted to keep the tree.

okie,
She is in a tiny town called Custer City in west central OK. Know anyone there or close by? Thanks, Roger in VA.

Latest posts

Back