[kit-660] Chipped my piston, need to replace piston....cylinder.....more? Pic&Vid in thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
I didn't realize what an open-hole the muffler was to the exhaust-outlet, I got nearly 1hr into usage and it failed w/o much noise/incident, just kinda "turned off". I subsequently thought I had fixed it, and I had it running well-enough (didn't realize my piston was chipped) with extra L and Idle but then when it died again I found the piston chipped & chewed-up!
20211028_193837.jpg20211028_193850.jpg20211028_193946.jpg20211028_194439_HDR.jpg20211028_200038.jpg
Cylinder - EXCEPT the squish band, obviously - was something I thought I could salvage but was told otherwise & would not 2nd guess them so am now in a spot where I'm just hoping to get more eyes on this, seeing that bottom-end, because I would hate to swap on a new P&C only to find its bottom end had damage I didn't know of!
Would sooner just buy a blue g660 and begin swapping-over all the OEM from this one....am not moving from the platform, not even 1hr on-job use but I'm smitten!!

(PS- Shot a video to further show & explain things:

Re rings, it seems you basically have to go OEM? Out of curiosity, what do ring failures typically look like? I'm guessing they're catastrophic often enough that going OEM here is worth the $30+? Am trying to be frugal but will get what's necessary to re-do this saw right, I want it in my stable a long time!
[ninja-edit: I ask because I figure I should order them NOW if it's a hard-Yes, and I'm pretty sure it is, just wanna ensure so that - without even knowing whether I'm getting a blue g660, or a top-end kit - wanna ensure that it'd still fit, IE "If I'm stubbornly set on staying on the 660-platform for at least a year, is 1122 034 3001 something I should just go-ahead and order asap anyway? Since ANY non-OEM ring, is a bad ring, and 54mm is fixed/constant!]

One hour in- you state in the video it is a "built saw" a "ported saw" , looks to me like you need to be contacting the builder and asking him to put it right and return the saw you paid for.

Looks to me like it's a "monkey behind the trigger" issue, not a "monkey behind the wrench" issue.
I believe that saw was given to him, not paid for.
It's too easy to blame others and deny fault.

Looks to me like it's a "monkey behind the trigger" issue, not a "monkey behind the wrench" issue.
I believe that saw was given to him, not paid for.
It's too easy to blame others and deny fault.

Maybe so, but I'd like to hear your reasoning for the damage via operator error not ring catch.
No mention of gifting anywhere, but if it was, then I guess no compensation- but a good builder would put it right- if he or she agreed the damage was caused by ring catch, not operator error.

Maybe so, but I'd like to hear your reasoning for the damage via operator error not ring catch.
No mention of gifting anywhere, but if it was, then I guess no compensation- but a good builder would put it right- if he or she agreed the damage was caused by ring catch, not operator error.

Detonation will cause that kind of damage.
A lean condition will also cause this kind of damage, and cause Detonation.
He also attempted to continue running the saw even after it died the first time. Continuing to run a saw that has suffered a lean seizure....who knows what kind of carnage will ensue!
And looking at the pics provided, I see no damage to that exhaust port.

Pre-ignition will cause that kind of damage.
A lean condition will also cause this kind of damage, and cause pre-ignition.
He also attempted to continue running the saw even after it died the first time. Continuing to run a saw that has suffered a lean seizure....who knows what kind of carnage will ensue!
And looking at the pics provided, I see no damage to that exhaust port.

Yeah, I dunno- if it was lean enough to supposedly pre-ignite enough to blow the exhaust side of the piston off, I would be expecting to see a whole lot more of the piston sides smeared about the cylinder walls.
Guess we will just have to agree to disagree about this one and I have no bias toward who owns it, who built it and or whoever gifted it to whom.

Latest posts

Back