knive to bedknive clearance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldbuck

Reaction score
I just purchased a used Vermeer 1800 and I have not received manuals yet from vermeer. I checked the knives and they have a few chips in them but none greater than a pea. Chips ok but I have new knives to replace with. Not sure on the bedknive clearance after changing knives? I spread the feedrollers and noticed the bedknife had gouges and looked rounded. I have never adjusted a bedknife before but can they be turned over for a cornered side? I heard that if you loosen up the bedknife clamp bolts too much that it can drop out of parallel to the drum knives? Also I noticed that the feed rollers were hard to slide out. Should I use WD-40 on the roller slides or grease?

I just purchased a used Vermeer 1800 and I have not received manuals yet from vermeer. I checked the knives and they have a few chips in them but none greater than a pea. Chips ok but I have new knives to replace with. Not sure on the bedknive clearance after changing knives? I spread the feedrollers and noticed the bedknife had gouges and looked rounded. I have never adjusted a bedknife before but can they be turned over for a cornered side? I heard that if you loosen up the bedknife clamp bolts too much that it can drop out of parallel to the drum knives? Also I noticed that the feed rollers were hard to slide out. Should I use WD-40 on the roller slides or grease?

Flip it over, you got four sides, the clearance is about the width of a matchbook cover.
Jeff , be careful. :)

I'll bet you are right tree squirrel.

We use a 1400 xl on the row. The power company forester runs a 1500. They have the same clearance.

Vermeer gave them a gauge to set the gap when they purchased. So the power company forester made me one. 1/8 sounds right. Also the adjustments are likely at the bar, as with the 1400 and 1500, not at the drum or blades.

OLD BUCK,

Do not use after market crap and misinformation. I've seen the results of vietnamese blades and chinese bolts. Go see your local Vermeer dealer and discuss this with them. They will set you up. You have an awesome machine, don't screw it up with nonsense, and the life you save may be your own.

If I'm not mistaken, on almost all vermeers i've worked with there is a piece of metal bent like a hockey stick bolted to the access door for the knives, that is your bedknife / knife clearance gauge, if it's not there 1/8 sounds bang on to me.

QUOTE=Komitet;2477184]If I'm not mistaken, on almost all vermeers i've worked with there is a piece of metal bent like a hockey stick bolted to the access door for the knives, that is your bedknife / knife clearance gauge, if it's not there 1/8 sounds bang on to me.[/QUOTE]

:agree2:
Open the underside "door" to the bedknife and the gap tool is attached as it says in the manual. The gap is about 1/8" and once the gap is set, torque the bolts according to spec and the bedknife won't move. Keep in mind, if you move the bedknife to accomodate older knives, it will be closer than if you use new knives. The bedknife will need to be re-adjusted if you use new knives after adjusting to old ones. the new knives are wider.

Latest posts

Back