Knot in the Hinge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a farmer, I don't know my trees as well as I should. I didn't cut the hinge off. I set it up and fell it with wedges. It just tore down instead of leaving a hinge. And yes, I did cut the back cut very high (though I do like leaving a bit of stump shot). I try to cut as low to the ground as I can. The side of the face cut was down hill. I then made the back cut above the ground on the up-hill side, resulting in a high back cut. If I took better pictures, it would show that. By the way, thanks guys for informing me that I had my trees mixed up. I'm glad I know that now!
That is the only situation where I make a sloping felling cut! I know if I have to pound a wedge a chip is not going to pop out of the root flare.

That is the only situation where I make a sloping felling cut! I know if I have to pound a wedge a chip is not going to pop out of the root flare.

I quit making sloping back cuts a few years ago. Before then, I had no clue at all about dropping trees. I'm still learning, but aren't we all? You guys are SO helpful.

Yep looks like box elder to me also, they are built with rot in the middle.
They just come that way.
When they become a big tree they can be quite a dangerous thing to drop.

Back