Kubota Transmission Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo239

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We were looking at maybe buying a new Kubota. I'm just wondering what the opinions are on the 3 available transmissions? Theres the hydrostatic which seems nice and easy, except for having to hold down the gas pedal to go forward all the time. The glide trans seems real nice too, no pushing in the clutch, just push it up to the next gear. And, we haven't tried the manual transmission yet, but people seem to like it saying its less to go wrong (which I don't necessarily believe). But, theres the thing about having to use the clutch alot. So, not really sure what would be good for doing some tree dragging, dirt moving, maybe some small stump removal, and other stuff.

We were looking at maybe buying a new Kubota. I'm just wondering what the opinions are on the 3 available transmissions? Theres the hydrostatic which seems nice and easy, except for having to hold down the gas pedal to go forward all the time. The glide trans seems real nice too, no pushing in the clutch, just push it up to the next gear. And, we haven't tried the manual transmission yet, but people seem to like it saying its less to go wrong (which I don't necessarily believe). But, theres the thing about having to use the clutch alot. So, not really sure what would be good for doing some tree dragging, dirt moving, maybe some small stump removal, and other stuff.
I got a hydro on my B3030. I also have a front end loader on it. The hydro is a lot faster than glide shift and manual if doing loader work. Actually I have owned 4 Kubota's all with hydro trannies. Never had a problem with any of them.

Which Model are you looking at?

My Grand L3540 cab has the hydro+. You don't even have to touch the peddle. There is a lever to my left I can slide foward by hand to go. Get to the desired speed and just let it go and you maintain constant speed.

If you plan on doing loader work get the Hyd.

The DT= Gear model are ok only if most of your work is long runs with ground engaging equipt.

:cheers:

We were looking at the L3240. Probably going to be mostly used for getting logs out. With so many accessories it seems like what you can do with a tractor is endless.

We were looking at the L3240. Probably going to be mostly used for getting logs out. With so many accessories it seems like what you can do with a tractor is endless.

Your 3240 has the same set-up as mine. That lever is actually the cruise control lever. If you tap your brakes it kicks it off.

Pulling logs and loader work get the Hyd.+ and don't look back.

Is there any noticeable loss in power? People are always saying simpler is better, but I just don't agree, same thing was said about cars, but look how relatively problem free they are now. Knowing Kubota has been in business for quite a while, and people say good things overall about them is also reassuring.

Is there any noticeable loss in power? People are always saying simpler is better, but I just don't agree, same thing was said about cars, but look how relatively problem free they are now. Knowing Kubota has been in business for quite a while, and people say good things overall about them is also reassuring.

The Hst Pto = 25hp
The Gear = 26.5hp
Will you notice the difference. ?...NO.

http://www.kubota.com/product/L40/pdf/gl40_spec.pdf

We tried out a gear model today, was real easy to drive. Have to say I really don't mind it. Plus, its $1400 less, which is a definite plus. Not really sure the HST is a necessary thing. Especially considering that amount is an attachment or two.

I have two tractors, neither Kubota but still. 1 Gear & 1 hydro. I have used a NH gear w/ shuttle. It worked very well and was easy to use. A key thing with gear is to minimize the clutch slip for longevity. It just doesn't get easier than a hydro.

You wont notice the loss of power at the pto. The hst is a real operator friendly feature. It doesnt get any simplier. If you are pushing the tractor hard you will notice the power loss. I cant tell you exactly why, but my guess is the gear version is more of a direct connection,instead of driving off a hydraulic pump.

I have to wheel loaders, same hp, one is hst,one is not. The hst has less push power, but I wouldnt trade it for 2 regular versions just because I like the hst ease to operate.. Thumb operated foward and reverse on the joy stick and you never half to move you hands off the steering wheel or loader control.

Latest posts

Back